The Gray Chapter

DISCLAIMER: Contains explicit language, violent references, sexual content.

One Week Later

Ruby and I decided to take a small vacation to California this weekend. The beach had been calling my name and I desperately wanted to travel again. Not full time, but I miss always having somewhere to go. Staying in one spot too long always makes my mind go crazy.

"You gonna tell the guys that you're not going to be around this weekend?" Ruby asked as we packed our bags. I actually hadn't thought about that.

"Well, I have Corey and Chris's numbers, but I'd hate to bother them just to say that. We barely know each other. I'm sure they will survive for one weekend," I brushed it off after that and tried to keep my mind on positive things.

Ruby had tried to talk me into going to talk to a therapist but when I refused, she began doing some digging around for me to try and talk to her. My argument had been that she's the only one I do talk to. But there are different aspects that therapists use, to dig into your past and bring everything out that will help you heal.

"No sessions this weekend, alright? Not until we get back. I want us to both enjoy ourselves without anything following us," Ruby spoke out, seeming to read my mind.

- - -

"I'd almost rather drive. But that would take way too long," I told Ruby as we boarded the plane. I didn't hate flying, but I didn't love it. I guess that's just the part of me that's used to driving everywhere John and I ever visited.

"You brought the camera, right? I want us to get some candid shots while we're here. We haven't had our photo taken in quite a while," Ruby asked me as we settled into our seats.

I grabbed my book out of my carry-on bag and nodded. I brought John's camera, along with a couple of different lenses. I don't know much about photography; but he did teach me some of the basics.

The flight was otherwise boring. A little turbulence about halfway there but it was nothing too terrible.

As we landed and got off of the plane, Ruby was starving.

"Those plane cookies weren't enough for you I take it?" I asked her, laughing as I wasn't hungry at all. Even though it's easier for me to get through most days now, I still didn't get much of my appetite back.

"Let's grab some tacos. I know you can't resist," Ruby pulled me towards the small restaurant inside the large airport. We landed in San Diego where we would be spending two nights before heading back home.