Chapter Nineteen

Adam watched Angellica walk to the back door of her house.  She looked back at him and waved with a smile on her beautiful face.  He waved back and went to his own door.  The house was dark and he knew his parents were probably sleeping.  It was after midnight and he felt mildly bad that he had kept her out so late.  He knew she would probably get in trouble but he couldn’t help that.  He knew she would brush it off with a sigh and move on.  She hadn’t told him about her parents much, but he had overheard enough of their arguments to know that her mother was extremely controlling towards Angellica. 

Adam walked through the kitchen and climbed the stairs missing every second step until he reached the landing.  He could see light under his parent’s door and stopped outside to make sure he wasn’t interrupting anything gross.  They were talking quietly.  He knocked gently.  “Just letting you know I’m home.”  He called out.

 “Come in son.”  He father replied.

Adam opened the door and poked his head through.  They were sitting up in bed. 

His mother cuddled into her husbands shoulder.  They both smiled at him.  “How was your date?”  She asked.

 “It was nice, we saw that Chuck Norris movie and then sat in the truck talking for the rest of the night.”  He said with a smile.

Millie clapped her hands with delight.

 “Did you use protection?”  George asked seriously.

Adam gasped in horror.  “Oh, no!  She’s not like that.  I mean, she’s so, well, not like that.”

George’s eye lit up.  “She’s not like what?”

Adam shrugged and pulled his head out of the doorway.  “Good night.”  He said before he closed the door.  He could hear his parents’ frenzied laughter.  He shook his head and went around to his own bedroom.  He closed the door behind him and instantly went to the window to look across the driveways between their houses. 

She wasn’t in her room.  It was dark with the curtains all open.

He was disappointed that she wasn’t there and sat down on his bed.  He watched and waited for a while, he wasn’t sure of the time when he lay down on top of the covers and fell into a fitful sleep.

“Adam, wake up.”

 “Mmmm.”

 “Come on, wake up.  Your girlfriend’s here.”

 “Piss off Jerome.”  He said to his little brother.

 “Dude, wake up.  She messed up.”

Adam opened one eye. “Wha’?”

 “She’s in the kitchen, and she’s totally freaking me out.”