TALE THREE OF THE PURE OF HEART - Ready For Battle

It was midday when Malak left the General Commando. She knew he was there. The Protectors had spotted him some hours before, when the sun had just risen.

With her were Kvé Merytel, the Giano, Adira Zjen, Supreme General of the Army of the Free, and Preama Firr, Leader of the Senators, their faces frowning and lost in thoughts.

They were all mad. The news of what had happened at the Half-Moon Remains had quickly spread in the entire Aaryah, and not only in the Fourth Sultanates. Storytellers from Sephrin were already traveling in foreign lands, singing and making legends the deaths of thousands as their Sultan had wanted them to do.

Even the Giano's personal scribe had taken note of the event as Merytel had requested him to, but the painful and sorrowed expression in his eyes revealed that that those deaths meant more than just work for him. Those were his people, Malak had learnt that in the last few days. His grief was beyond the Sultanates' comprehension. As well as of that of the Grand Rector of the Fifth Division, who had let the massacre happen without even trying to oppose Zeke.

The Angel glanced at the Giano at her left. The name of his scribe was Tinandel, she remembered.

Some time later, the group arrived at the Royal Gardens. This time, Malak ignored the Residence and headed directly to the stables. That morning, Merytel had stated that this so-called 'Grand General' didn't deserve the honor of being welcomed in the Golden Chambers, not after what he had done with the Kazjéh.

He had failed the Republic of Yash; yet, he was their only chance to put an end to the war.

The stables were huge. Despite all the horses, the squires and recruits and the few veterans of the Army of the Free, probably getting ready for a simulation or some kind of training, Malak recognized immediately the Grand Rector.

A small crowd of servants was helping him put his horse in a free stable, though he seemed rather uncomfortable and nervous as if he wasn't used to having so many people doing things for him and didn't have any idea what to do next.

Malak and her group came closer. He wasn't tall for a Demon; in fact he could have easily got mistaken for a Human, wasn't it for his mesmerizing dark purple eyes. Everything reminded her of something - his quiet and uncomfortable behavior, his tanned skin and his black hair, cut not too short perhaps as a sign of rebellion towards the Aaryan military traditions.

It was him, the Half Demon with sad eyes she had met in Sephrin. He seemed to have had the same thought as he locked eyes with Malak.

It looked like he was about to say something, but Malak didn't give him the time to and punched him in the face, releasing all her madness on him. She left him breathless, stunned on the ground. The servants murmured words she didn't care listening to, surprised.

An astonished look on his face, the Half Demon tried and got up. Malak advanced towards him, struggling to control her fury. Silence filled the stables as Angel and the Half Demon confronted each other, challenging the other to break the silence or keep the fight going on.

The Republic of Yash had put all its trust on a friend of the Djimanatá to save the lives of a Race Sephrin only cared about because of its powers. Of course that Grand Rector would have let them die if his life was put on the line. Of course he would have given up on trying and saving them at the first difficulty he'd find along the way.

"In the end, you even dare present yourself here," Kvé Merytel finally spoke, standing next to the Angel. "What game are you up to, Grand Rector Donovan Vazh?"

The Grand Rector kept quiet for some time, tense, his penetrating gaze still on Malak. Finally, he looked at Merytel.

"I'm not up to any games, Giano," the Half Demon firmly stated. "Don't judge what's happened considering facts the stories the storytellers of Sephrin came here to tell you. Sultan Naen Zeke did that on purpose; she knows something is wrong and wants to separate us now that we need each other the most-"