The Secret Power

I went to Cherry Hill, New Jersey. My parents were younger and unmarried when they created me. Dad never realized I was even born. One day a friend of his visited our small community of Wimberly, Texas, due to a benefit, charity type thing, more of a fundraiser I thought. Although, It was announced that Daryl Wilson, a band member of Crimson would be there, I really didn't pay that much attention, that was my mother's favorite band; not mine. Later in the week, on a sad Thursday afternoon, my mom called me into the kitchen, told me about Crimson.

At first I was like, who cares about them, maybe you and other people around your age, but not me, however, she halted that nonsense real quick. She didn't want to discuss their popularity of her time, she told me about one of them was my father, how she always tried to tell me, but I always didn't want to listen. So here I am, in Cherry Hill, where I will visit my dad for my last year of high school.

"Damn, I shouldn't have quit for those couple of years!" I said aloud, as I was a few feet away from my dad.

My dad stood there waiting for me. I got up to him. He said what's up. I shrugged. We got to his car, where he opened the trunk for my bag. I tossed it in there.

"Hey, be nice to the car, it didn't do anything to you!" Xavier Williams stated, boldly.

"Sure," I said dully.

"So, your mom and I talked, I have you, till you graduate this coming spring, then you can fly where ever you want...."

"Yeah, I know, she told me," I said, still being dull, looking out the window.

"Okay, dude, just trying to make conversation, with my son, I never seen or even heard of till now, geez!" 

"Dude, huh?"

"Yeah, what's wrong with, dude?"

"I'm your son, not exactly your friend!"

"Okay, okay, take it slow, I got it!"

"Yeah!"

The conversation stopped, he turned on the radio, at least it was stuff I grew up with, due to my mom playing it, trying to make me laugh, when I was irritated. My mom always found a way to make me laugh, I don't know, maybe it's a mom thing. At that thought, I sorta smiled, dad caught it.

"Someone, finally getting somewhat happy?"

"No, just a thought of my mom!"

"She is a pretty great woman, I didn't want to try and date a fan, but I..."

"But, sex is okay!"

"I wasn't gonna say that!"

"I'm here, aren't I?"

"That's not exactly fair!"

We didn't talk the rest of the way. When we got there, I got out as he popped the trunk. I grabbed no bag, stood at the door. He opened it, motioned for me to go on in. Once inside, he introduced me to his fiance', a chick named Lovey, what a name! The house was full of other people. Those people were over a lot, would be my understanding, even though, I'm just taking a guess. Then...

"What is your grade point average?" Lovey asks.

"I never really paid attention," I say.

"What's your favorite band?" The guy named Daryl asked.

"New Kids On The Block, what's the deal about playing 20 questions?" I reply, and wonder why they were being so nosy.

"They just want to know more about you!" Says Xavier.

"Whatever!" I sighed, setting my bag down.

"Are you gay?" Asked Cameron.

"Why do you want to know?" I asked him.