Part 15: You Were Good To Me

Tanjirou wasn't feeling good that morning. His head pounded like hell and his injuries stung worse than before. His eyes felt heavy, but his body felt heavier. It's as if he couldn't move a muscle! The raven-haired boy tried shifting his leg but it wouldn't move an inch. Was this normal? If Tanjirou couldn't smell the nice, floral fragrance around him, he would've crowned that morning as the worst he ever had.

His chest felt as if something was laying on top of him. Something... or someone? Tanjirou slowly opened his eyes. What greeted him were a bunch of flower petals scattered around his futon. But that wasn't what made Tanjirou bewildered. It was the sight of a blonde pressing his lips onto Tanjirou's bandage.

What kind of fever dream was Tanjirou having?

Zenitsu continued doing whatever it was he had been doing, his face bright red. It seemed like he had yet to realize Tanjirou was awake. Tanjirou cleared his throat before Zenitsu looked up. They eyed each other in surprise.

Zenitsu's face whitened in panic and quickly separated his face from Tanjirou's body. "Wait, wait, wait, wait!!!" He gestured his arms frantically. His voice was so loud, he was practically screaming at the poor boy below him. "This! Is! A! Misunderstanding!!"

Tanjirou blinked. Needless to say, there were no words left to speak.

"I mean, I get it! What I'm doing could be classified as weird!" Zenitsu cried. "But before you call me a pervert or something just hear what I'm gonna say!"

Was Tanjirou dreaming? Tanjirou felt as if he was having a weird fantasy.

"You see, I read this book and it said that a demon's kisses could cure injuries, and-" Zenitsu squinted his eyes and internally cringed. He regretted every word he spoke. "On second thought, if I say that aloud it sounds dumb! I'll stop now!!"

That statement seemed to struck a chord for Tanjirou. "No!" He shouted. The sudden change of volume made Zenitsu flinch. The two froze in confusion.

Zenitsu was the first one to snap out of the daze. "W-what do you mean, no?!"

Tanjirou stumbled around his words. Truth be told, he didn't understand what he meant either. But he had to answer now or forever hold his peace. "I meant..." Tanjirou started, not fully grasping what he was saying. "I think your kisses are working!"

The blonde widened his eyes, his mouth agape. "Wait, seriously?!" His voice trembled as he tried to identify whether Tanjirou was telling the truth or not.

"I'm serious!" That was a lie. In fact, Zenitsu's kisses kinda hurt! But it felt nice in a way, maybe if he wasn't kissing Tanjirou's injuries...

"Whoa!" Zenitsu beamed in joy. Tanjirou didn't sound like he was lying. He sounded like he wanted more. "I guess the book does have its merits!"

"Yeah! Do it more!" Tanjirou commanded, bracing himself for the next sting.

"Okay!" Zenitsu kissed the bandages wrapped around Tanjirou's left arm.

Tanjirou's face scrunched up in pain, but the sight of the blonde on top of him was enough to soothe it.

Zenitsu switched his position and started pecking on another injury, this time on Tanjirou's right forearm. As Zenitsu kissed the wound, Tanjirou stared at his brilliant yellow hair. Had Zenitsu always been this pretty?

After pulling his face away, Zenitsu stared at the injured part of Tanjirou. "Y'know, I've been kissing this one for a while and it doesn't really look like it's healing..."

"Maybe it's because there are bandages blocking my skin?" Tanjirou said. He didn't know why he said that because it would only cause the raven-haired boy more pain.