Six

Trigger warning: homophobic slurs, gore and fight scene

Theo

I arrived at work, Max left way early to go write. I caught myself constantly thinking about him. And how I just wanted to be with him. All the time. I wanted to hold his hand in public and kiss him and well, uh, other stuff. Two men interrupted my thoughts.

"What the fuck are you wearing?" A man with slicked back black hair said. His fist was holding onto a quivering guys shirt. It was a yellow- sheer, blouse.

"A- a shirt?" He said, fear filling his eyes.

"A girls shirt. You fucking f*ggot. I bet you like it up the ass huh? Marty, let's knock some sense into him," he said. I visibly cringed, and stopped washing the glass I held, a guy, presumably Marty, walked up, pulled the man by his ear, and dragged him out of the bar.

I was shaking. I wanted max. I wanted him to keep me safe. I wanted him to hug me and to tell me that everything would be alright.

Everyone was pretty silent, the music still playing in the back.

I shook my head . No. Everything is fine. I'm fine. He's fine. Everyone is fine. I began to wash the glass that was in my hand again. BANG! I dropped the glass, and everyone dropped to the floor, hiding under tables.

"N-no! Don't hurt him, I swear to go-!" Another loud bang. A loud cry. That's it. Fuck this. I, and a few others, ran out of the bar. I quickly got in my car, started it, and drove to my house.

-
I sat on the couch and just silently stared. At nothing in particular. But stared. I guess I had lost track of the time as I head the door swing open and shut.

"Theo! Baby! How was work?" Max  said. Hanging in his coat. I didn't reply. He came up to me.

"Theo?" He said. I looked at him. His worry filled eyes. I stared to cry. I clung onto him and just started bawling.

"Baby, baby, what's wrong?" He said, rubbing his hand up and down my back.

"M-mean m-men shot th-this gay c-c-c-couple," I stuttered, not able to breathe correctly.

He just kissed my cheek a bunch. And he held me tight.

"Are you hurt? Did anything happen to you?" He said. I shook my head.

"No, I just was so scared max. We can't stay here. We'll get hurt. And I'm so tired of seeing other people hurt," I said, tears trickling down my face.

He wiped them with the pad of his thumb.
"But my kids live here, baby," he said.

I shook my head.
"She said she won't let you see them for awhile anyway, few years, Max lets just leave, and start somewhere else," I said.

"I really would like to, I don't know, maybe , but we don't even know where we'd go," he said.

I was quiet. He's right. Where could we even go that's safe for us?
It'd have to be out of our country.

"Yeah, I know, but hopefully we figure it out. I really don't feel safe here." I said. He kissed my lips.

"I know, I don't either. now let's go to bed. I'm sure you want to," he said, and started tickling me. He always knew how to make me feel better.

"N-No MAX AH," I said, and started laughing. He tickled my ribs. I couldn't breathe. He lifted me over his shoulder and carried me up the stairs. He threw me on the bed.

"You're so light, you should really eat," he said. I slapped him lightly.

"Oh shut up," I said. He kissed me and slipped his shirt off, undoing his pants , ruffling his hair and slipping in next to me.

I turned around, and he grabbed my stomach and pulled me closer, we were now spooning.

"Goodnight baby, I love you," he mumbled.

" I love you too," I said. And then the moon kissed our noses and we fell asleep.

-
I Arrived at work, the place I now fear, and having to clean up the Broken glass I dropped from yesterday. I cleaned the rest of the glasses and set them in the cupboards. I hear a cough.

"Oh, sorry, yes what can I get for you?" I said, getting a glass out and instantly putting ice in it.

The man shook his head.

"Oh no, actually, I was hoping to snag a whole bottle of Jack Daniels," he said. I smirked.

"Well, whiskey huh? Got someone special for tonight?" I asked, turning around and grabbing the bottle.
The man blushed softly.
"Well, not tonight , he wants the bottle just Incase. We'll be on the road.," he smiled, sharing a bit too much.

"Oh, know you've got me curious.Where are you going?" I asked, intrigued .

"Netherlands," he said. My eyes went wide.

"Netherlands! All the way there? What for ?," I asked eagerly.

He chuckled, before leaning in closer and whispering.

"It's the only safe country for homosexual people right now. Me and him are packing up and moving tonight," he said. I nodded.

Netherlands, huh?

"Interesting. Well, here is your bottle of jack, that'll be $20," I said. Expensive. I looked down at his wrist. A nice big watch was settled on it. Nice. Good for him.

He handed me a $100

"Keep the change. It'll help with the travel," he said. I nodded. Then realized what he said.

"Uh, what travel?" I said. He smiled.

"I'm in here everyday and night. I saw you hook up with that married man. Maximus, I think, nice looking. I heard him and his wife split recently. I'm assuming it's for you. And if you and him are a thing, I'm sure you're just begging to get out of here," he said.

I was astonished. Were we really that see through?
"I-uh, yeah. Thanks. Thank you so much," I said, tucking the $100 bill in my pocket. He nodded.

"No worry's. Love safe." He said, then exited the bar.

I immediately went to the phone.

I twisted in the numbers and waited for a ring. I hoped he was at his office.

"Hello?" He said. Great.

"Max, you won't believe it, I know where we can move," I said. I heard shuffling and then I got a response.

"Okay, I'm in the bathroom now, where?" He asked.

"Netherlands, now , before you say that's crazy or expensive, this guy was just in here and he said him and his boyfriend were going to the Netherlands because it's the only safe country for homosexual people. Max he gave me a one hundred  dollar tip, we can go," I said. I heard his smile from across the line.

"Start packing when you get home, I'll help you, once we get all packed I'll tell stop by Meredith and tell her we are leaving, I love you," he said.

"Okay, I love you too," I said, and hung up the phone. I quickly grabbed my jacket and headed my way home.

I started writing this 5 days ago and I'm only just now finishing it .

Original start date : October 15th 2019