The Hot Jerk Falls For The Hot Nobody 21

Chapter 21

Eve

It was a quiet taxi ride from the cemetery to the Bentley Hotel, an uptown hotel in New York that was courtesy of Alex, who was as much a good traveler as he was a bookworm. He had booked them a suite that was incredibly chic and incredibly cheap. Their room had a nice view of uptown New York. The room consisted of one large, comfortable-looking bed with the softest sheets you can imagine, side tables on either side with lamps, a wardrobe, and an office desk with a chair and a telephone. There was also a private bath.

“Here we are,” Skye said to Juliette, sounding as if he was attempting to lighten Juliette up.

Juliette merely smiled. As Skye went to place their thing in the wardrobe, Juliette walked towards the ceiling-to-floor windows and stared at the view.

“How long are we staying here?” She asked.

“I told Alex to book a room for five days,” Skye replied. “It’s the twenty-third today, so, we’re leaving on the twenty-seventh.”

“Oh,” Juliette had nothing to say after that. Getting bored of the city view she went to lie down on the bed. Skye followed Juliette’s lead after he had finished unpacking.

They were both just lying there, silent. Skye’s fingers were entwined in Juliette’s own.

“Are you… feeling okay?” Skye asked wearily at some point, afraid that one word can send Juliette to tears again.

To Skye’s surprise, Juliette smiled; not a wistful smile, but a genuinely warm smile.

“Not really,” she replied nonchalantly. “But I will be.”

“How’s that?’ Skye asked curiously.

“Well, I just know I will,” Juliette replied quietly. “Maybe… it’s because you’re here with me, and that you’re going to take care of me.”

“Well, I did kinda promise it on your mother’s grave,” Skye joked halfheartedly, as the topic still seemed a touchy one. “And I keep my word, so…”

They fell silent again for quite a long moment.

“Where are you going to live?” Skye asked another weary question. “I mean, do you have any relatives you know of?”

Juliette shook her head.

“None of them are in America,” Juliette replied, sounding worried. “All of them are in UK, and I don’t know any of them…”

Skye was thoughtful for a moment.

“What are we going to do about it?” Skye asked, trying to sound casual about it, but the hint of worry and pain wasn’t missed by Juliette’s ears. She squeezed Skye’s hand tightly.

“We’ll think of something… Don’t worry too much about it…” Juliette said, wanting to her hopes up… to feel that she still has a family… somewhere…

It was Christmas Eve the next day, and most people were hustling and bustling around celebrating. They were having lunch with friends and family, giving gifts, or just plainly greet those they meet on the street. To Skye, however, it seemed so out of place because of his girlfriend’s loss as well as his.

He was sitting on the bed and was facing the view outside. He was staring to nothing, thinking of what he could possibly do to make Juliette’s life easier somewhat.

Arms were suddenly around his shoulders.

“Why are you so lonely?” Juliette whispered into his ear.

“I dunno,” Skye lied. “I just feel like not celebrating.”

“Not celebrating?” Juliette said incredulously. “Why? It’s Christmas Eve.”

Skye turned and faced Juliette.

“I just… feel that I should give you something more… Deep inside, I know I have given much, but, it seems so incomplete,” Skye sighed and looked down on the necklace he gave her with a wistful expression.

Juliette raised Skye’s face up.

“Skye West,” Juliette said earnestly. “You have given me the best gift there is, and that is you. You have stayed with me in times good and bad, and especially in this time when I lost my mother… you have given me more that I deserve to have, so stop being so sad… we have each other, and that’s what matters most of all.”

“You’re right,” Skye agreed. “So,” he said as he pulled Juliette to sit on his lap. His arms encircled her in a warm cradle. “What do you want to do today?”

Minutes later, they were out on the street roaming around aimlessly, talking about anything and everything they could think of. They had so much fun the entire day.

It was around dusk when they started to head back to their hotel.

“Oh, yeah I forgot to tell you,” Skye said in an upbeat tone. “My parents invited you to stay with us for the New Year.”

Juliette stared with a bright expression on her face.

“Really?” Juliette was ecstatic. Skye, however, didn’t answer, his face still looking down with a deep happiness. Second later, she understood.

“They invited me to live with you, didn’t they?” Juliette asked, her upbeat not noticeable.

“Yes, they did,” Skye replied.

Skye expected Juliette to jump up and down in excitement, but Juliette’s face fell ever so slightly.

“What’s wrong?” Skye asked concernedly.

They continued to walk in silence for a moment.

“It’s good and all to live with you,” Juliette replied slowly. “Heck, I’d be happy to, but… wouldn’t be a burden to your father and mother? I mean, I still have to go to college and all, and they still have to expend much on you… is it really okay?”

Skye didn’t reply, but instead he pulled out two thick manila envelopes.

“My parents sent me these yesterday,” Skye said. “My father’s one of the members of the school board in Stanford University of Medicine and my mother’s head of the office for admissions at Juilliard. You could take your pick: they’re both scholarship applications for both schools. They are my parents’ gift to you.”

Juliette stared at the two envelopes for a long time.

“What’s your pick?” Juliette asked quietly.

“Juilliard,” Skye replied. “I so love music that had set my heart on that school, that’s why I took music as my major at Westgrove.”

“Thanks,” Juliette was both breathless and happy at the same time.

“So, what’s it going to be?” Skye asked expectantly.

“Well, I would gladly accept your invitation,” Juliette replied with a smile.

“Thank you,” Skye’s deep happiness was in his face again. “It means so much to me.”

With hearts so happy that they ever will be, they continued to head back to their hotel for some dinner.

==========================================================================

Sorry for the late upload... Had a major headache yesterday... Anyway, Here one of the two specials I had written... Hope you like it! Comment and vote... ;D