Don't Stop

Don't Stop

"All I want is to see you smile
If it takes just a little while"

~ Then ~

Misty snuck out of her room as soon as she was able to. She had never cared much for birthdays in previous years, the whole big ordeal seemed pointless. It was Cordelia who had made a big deal about celebrating her day, and Misty found herself unable to say no to her, nothing new there.

The door to Cordelia's room let out a slight freak as Misty let herself in, Cordelia sitting in her regular spot by the fireplace, a gift wrapped box laying in her lap.

"What time is it?" Cordelia whispered as Misty shut the door.

"Almost midnight now." Misty answered, her voice hushed. She made her way over to Cordelia, sitting in the chair opposite her. "Ya wrap that yourself?"

"No, never wrapped a thing in my life. The lady at the store offered to do it for me."

"Y'know ya really didn't have to do that." Misty smiled.

Her youth had consisted of various foster parents and foster homes, many of which let Misty's birthday fall to the side. She had never had a real family, someone who truly cared about her. Cordelia had made her feel loved, made her feel important, she felt Cordelia was the first person who saw her for all she was, not just who she appeared to be.

"Happy birthday Misty." Cordelia grinned, biting at her bottom lip as she handed over the package she had held onto so tightly.

Misty beamed as she grabbed the box, taken aback by the weight of it. She took her time peeling off the wrapping paper, Cordelia trying to hold back her excitement as Misty grew closer to uncovering what was underneath. An ugly cardboard box revealed itself as the remaining gift wrap fell to the floor. Misty lifted the lip of the cardboard box, pulling out a small yellow stereo, a giant black speaker centered on the front.

"As much as I have loved listening to all of your Fleetwood Mac renditions, I thought the real thing might sound a bit better." Cordelia smiled as she watched Misty's reaction, pulling a cassette from behind her and passing it over to Misty. "Figured you could use one to get your collection started."

Misty met Cordelia's gaze with teary eyes. She clutched the stereo close with one hand, her other reaching out to take the cassette from Cordelia. She looks down at her gifts, then back towards Cordelia.

"I don't know what to say." A tear escaping Misty's eye as she spoke. "I think I'm gonna name her Stevie."

Cordelia smiled with a tilted head, sliding out of her chair to crouch in front of Misty, gazing up at her as she brushes her tears away.

"It wasn't meant to make you cry."

"It's in a good way, I promise." Misty smiled, putting her hand over Cordelia's. The two looked at each other intently for a moment, before pulling away, Cordelia returning to her chair.

"Well, are you gonna test it or not?"

~ Now ~

Misty looked at the floor of her cabin, Stevie shattered into pieces. She knew Kyle didn't know what he was doing but that didn't stop a wave of anger and hurt washing through Misty. Stevie had always meant so much to her, it was the first gift she had been given that had ever held significance and had always done her best to protect it, keeping it close and cared for at all times.