twenty-one

[We in the nuclear season, summer lovin’ in the backseat gone]

~**~

As the season and weather was slowly changing, so was Zayn’s feelings for Liam. They were becoming bright like the sun in the May sky. Now in the final month of spring, the couple had become only stronger. Zayn was slowly opening up to Liam, trusting him once again. Liam had this affect on Zayn, breaking down the walls he put up, brick by brick. Even though he trusted him, Zayn still kept what Luke did a secret. It was trapped within him; imprisoned like the truth was behind the bars of Zayn’s mouth, begging to be set free.

“Alright class, I want you to place your belongings in the trunk of the bus. You’re allowed one small backpack to ride with,” announces Mrs. Greenwood, the school’s Environmental Science teacher.

Every year, the kids in year twelve are eligible to sign up for a camping fieldtrip that takes course over the weekend. The spots were limited at a first come first serve basis. Luckily, Liam had signed Zayn and himself up in time.

“Here babe, I’ll take your things. Find a spot for us on the bus,” says Liam, taking Zayn’s bag as well as his own to the trunk.

Zayn hurries up into the bus, heading towards the back, far away from where the teacher would be seated.

“Zayn! What’s up mate?” asks Niall, taking a seat in front of Zayn.

“Nothing really, just waiting for Li. How’ve ya been Niall? It’s been a while.”

The blonde pushes back his bleached hair and adjusts his sunglasses. “To be honest, kinda lonely. Liam and Louis still aren’t on good terms, so I’ve been avoiding both of them. I’m tired of having to alternate between my friends. They’re so far up their own asses that they don’t see who it’s affecting outside of themselves.”

“I’m sorry Niall, it’s all my fault. I was the reason they got into a big heated argument…” mumbles Zayn, twisting the string of his sweater between his fingertips.

“Hey now, no it’s not. Trust me, you’re the last person who should be getting the blame,” coos Niall, his chin rested over the back of his seat.

“Why are you talking to the leprechaun?!” asks Liam sarcastically, plopping down next to Zayn and pulling him close.

“He’s after my lucky charms,” retorts Niall with a wink.

Liam chuckles and ruffles Niall’s hair. “When the hell are we leaving? I want to get this drive over with,” Liam whines.

“Li, Lake Zephyr is only forty minutes away,” giggles Zayn into the crook of Liam’s neck.

Mrs. Greenwood whistles loudly to get everyone’s attention. “Alright class! Is that everyone? Are we all here and accounted for?” 

“Wait!” shouts none other than the infamous Louis Tomlinson, Harry Styles right by his side. “Sorry we’re late! This one over here didn’t wanna get his lazy ass up.”

“Save your story for later Tomlinson. Just find a damn seat already!” demands Mrs. Greenwood. “We’re on a strict schedule.”

“And a good Friday morning to you too, Mrs. Greenwood,” snickers Louis, searching the bus for an open seat.

“Fuck,” mutters Liam. He damn well knew the only empty seat on this bus was the one next to himself and Zayn.

“You’ve gotta be shitting me,” snarls Louis, sitting in the only seat left.

“I’m happy to see you too,” huffs Liam.

“Babe, be nice,” says Zayn, pecking Liam softly on the lips.