two ; the long table

The journey to Hogwarts was usually an exciting one. Getting aboard the black and red steam train meant stepping into a new life that no 11 year old could ever expect. Seven years of experiences and opportunities. Eager first years, carefree sixth years and even the professors would be thrilled returning to their true homes. The magical community feeling that Hogwarts had, was addicting.

But this time it was different. This time, a miserable feeling lingered as a group of suffering young adults travelled to the castle. This time they weren't returning to begin a new school year of spells and potions. This time, there was one less person than usual.

↠—↞

"Today we gather," spoke a thin man, slouched in his grand chair at the end of a long table, "to acknowledge a really terrible tragedy." The Professor's blue eyes glistened behind half-moon spectacles. He wore a dark cloak, much more cold than the usual vibrant colours he typically wore on a day to day business. Obviously it was a special occasion. Accompanying him, along the long table, sat ten friends. Again, there was one less person than usual.

News of the attack on Tinworth Village and Mary MacDonald's death has spread to The Order. They had been putting it off for weeks, but it was decided that they were to have a long overdue meeting.

"I just can't believe it." said Lily, breaking the silence. A mixture of guilt and sorrow hung in the air. Her face was paler than her usual complexion, and her wide emerald eyes didn't know where to look. Next to her, James' glasses were left on the mahogany table as his rough hands were holding up his forehead. It was clear, nobody could comprehend or explain what had happened.

"Everything's changing," James spoke. After years of watching Dumbledore prompt these gatherings, James had grown and learnt. He had picked up Dumbledore's exquisite way with words and how to touch upon subjects like these. Perhaps it was Dumbledore's unusual stillness in this situation, that had inspired James to take the lead this time. "There will be a time to grieve, but it is not now," he carried on. Sirius turned his head in interest at what his closest friend could possibly say at a time like this. "The cost of freedom is always high, and one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission." James' words of the harsh realities had clearly got his point across, as the other members slowly nodded their heads in acknowledgement. Maybe it was the result of being a new father but whatever it was, it had matured the once juvenile boy, into a vigorous young man.

Next to break the uncomfortable silence was Remus, his washed out face made his large scars more visible and his mousy brown hair was longer than usual. "I just don't get it." he choked.
"Yeah, how did any of this even happen?" Peter added, questioning the other members of The Order, desperate for answers. He was confused. Why had this happened to her? And to Tinworth Village? If Tinworth isn't safe, then where is? He remembered playing gobstones with Mary when they both had free periods, in their seventh year at Hogwarts. Though now it felt like decades ago.

"That doesn't matter," James answered. "The question is what do we do now? Or as Professor Dumbledore likes to put it, what is to be done?" He realised that even himself didn't know how or why there was an attack on Tinworth Village, of all places.

"There'll have to be some kind of way," Sirius added, "To help protect everyone else for now." Ever since the death of his teenage brother, Regulus, Sirius was committed to saving the young and the innocent.

Dorcas Meadowes, an intelligent girl, with curly black hair and dark skin shook her head from the other end of the table. "We can't stop a war if there's going to be one." she said quietly. Lily turned to Dorcas. Her heart started beating quicker.
"Dorcas." she spoke, trying to get her friend to understand, "They, they are everywhere. Out on the streets. Maybe even their children are in this building. Everywhere." Lily's refusal to say the name of these types of wizards was for a clear reason.

Emmeline Vance , sitting next to Dorcas spoke up next, "I get what you guys are saying, I really do," she said, gesturing to James, Lily and Sirius. "But I agree with Dorcas, it may not be enough to save us."

↠—↞

Long blonde hair, had been covering Marlene's wet face from the others. Her tears were never-ending but she felt something different to the everyone else who sat at the long table. She felt anger. Pure and deep anger. Marlene was one of the only people who knew the truth.

After the rest of the members of The Order of the Phoenix left the large room they were sat in, and the echoes of Sirius calling after Professor McGonagall (or 'Minnie') had quietened, Marlene made her way over to Dumbledore. She stood before the exhausted, thin man who had not yet left his grand chair at the empty table and stared at him. How could you? She wanted to scream. How could you sit there in silence after everything that you have caused!

"Marlene, I know how this seems," Dumbledore said quietly, almost embarrassed "I have an explanation, a reason. I did not mean for this to happen to Mary or Tinworth Village." he admitted.

Tears fell down Marlene's cheeks, "You should have been there," she replied, angrily. "Why weren't you there? You said you'd be there. To collect the diadem, and take it somewhere safe, but you didn't." Marlene's breath was heavy, as she confronted the man who had never been confronted before. Speechless, Professor Dumbledore watched as Marlene walked out of the room and into a bustling Hogwarts corridor.