Chapter 12

I woke up to darkness. I must of fallen asleep. I could hear Jacob breathing above me. I turned away from the wall to see a dark shadow on the couch. My heart jumped into my throat and my eyes widened.

I stared at the shadow for a while before realising it was someone asleep, as my eyes adjusted I saw it was Jesse. I let out a sigh of relief. I picked up my phone to check the time and saw a message. Oh no...

YOUR COPS WONT GET ME

I could feel my heart racing. Why me. Why did he choose to torment me? Why was I different?

I got off my bed and went to the window. I pulled the curtain to the side and looked out.

He was there. In the middle of the field. Standing in the dim light, just a dark figure. I felt the terror grip me but I couldn't look away. I was like a deer in headlights. I knew he could see me, he stood there before raising a hand and waving.

It wasn't friendly. It was welcoming.

That's when I snapped.

"Jesse." I whispered.

I heard him mumble something.

"Jesse wake up." I whispered not looking away.

"Savannah?" He said.

"Don't come over. Get to the door. Get out. Get the detective." I said.

"Why?" He asked, his voice suddenly very serious.

"He's on the field, staring at me." I said.

"Holy shit." Said Jesse.

"Go." I said.

"What's going on?" I heard Jacob say.

"Stay on the bed. He's staring at me right now. He's on the field." I said.

"Fuck." Said Jacob.

I was suprised at how calm I was. I was staring at the man who killed my parents, who stabbed me, who had haunted my dreams and who had ruined my life. Yet I felt calm.

I heard the door shut as Jesse left.

"Where is he?" Asked jacob.

"Standing in the middle of the field. I can see his dark figure but he made sure he isn't in enough light for me to see his face." I said.

"He know's which room you're in. That's not good." He said.

"He's probably known for a while, however long hes known that I'm here." I said.

He suddenly moved. He pulled something from his belt. The knife. I saw itglisten in the light as he moved it towards me slowly. He pointed it at me and I couldn't help but take a step back in fear.

My calm resolve was gone.

"Savannah? Come away from the window now." Said Jacob in a worried voice.

"No. I need to stay, he will go if I do and the detective needs to get him." I said.

The man suddenly moved again. He pulled the knife back and waved again before turning and striding towards the treeline. I then saw the dark figures running across the field towards him.

They had to catch him but he disappeared into the treeline. It took the other figures another minute to reach the treeline. They wouldn't get him. I knew that.

I turned to Jacob.

"He's gone." I said.

Jacob jumped off the bunk and quickly pulled me into his arms. I let him and the tears started flowing.

Couldn't he just leave me alone.

"He won't get you." He whispered.

I didn't say anything, I just held him tight.

"I'll protect you Savannah. I won't let anything bad happen." He said.

"Promise me you won't get in the way Jacob." I whispered.

"No." He said.

Jesse suddenly walked in the door. I jumped back in fright and Jacob spun around.

"Chill out." Said Jesse quickly.

Jacob visibly relaxed. Jesse flicked the light on and walked over to the window. He looked out before shutting the curtains and turning back to me.

"Savannah, I love you. You're my twin and I'd do anything for you. So I'm sending you away. You're getting out of this school secretly and going somewhere far away." He said.

I looked at him with wide eyes.

"I can't leave. Not without you." I said.

"I'm sorry Vee, it's for the best." He said.

"No. It's not." I said. "He found me once, he'll find me again. Except next time you won't be there to help me." I said.

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"Can I say something?" Said Jacob.

"What." Said Jesse.

"I think she should stay." He said.

"Here? With him? How is that even an option." Seethed Jesse.

"Because if she's here so is he. That gives the police more chance of catching him. Also as she said, we're here. We can help her. Protect her." He said.

Jesse looked at him then his face twisted with anger. I didn't know why. I didn't know what was going through his head. He kept his eyes focused on Jacob. My eyes flicked between the two and their intense stare down before I just turned and crawled onto my bed.

"Goodnight." I said.

I didn't bother turning to see what happened but after a while the light turned off and Jacob climbed onto the top bunk. Since the door didn't open or close I assumed he was on the couch.

I turned and looked at him, through the dark I saw he was looking at me. I motioned for him to come over. He got up and got on the bed next to me.

He lay next to me and wrapped me in his arms.

"You're safe Savannah." He whispered in my ear.

I closed my eyes. I didn't feel safe. DespiteJesse and Jacob in the same room I didn't feel safe. He knew where I was. He hadn't been caught.

I saw my phone light up but so did Jacob. He lent over and picked it up and read it. His face hardenedbefore he showed me.

SLEEP TIGHT