Strange

The first few weeks were tiring, sleeping in shifts until little James finally got used to a normal sleep schedule. Though he couldn't always stay asleep, using your magic to find out why, you saw he was having dreams that would wake him up. Following your fathers footsteps, you sang him the oh so familiar lullaby from your childhood to put him at ease and back to sleep whenever you could. Bucky wasted no time in also learning the soft tune, wanting to be able to help any chance he could.

By then end of the second month, the two of you felt you had your parenting skills down to a science. Knowing what each cry meant, the best ways to get him to fall asleep fast, all the tricks to make him eat, even how to keep him from crying. When he started crawling, the goats were the ones to always know when he got out of the house, alerting you and Bucky, even forming a circle around little James to keep him from getting lost. He had the tendency to run off while you and Bucky would find yet another item in the house to baby proof.

Long distance conversations with your father were a necessity, any time you and Bucky were unsure of something related to the baby, Loki would help you instantly. Talking helped, but it had been so long since you had seen your father, you wished he would finally return again.

"What other mischief has your son been up to lately?" Just by his tone of voice, you knew your father was smirking as he asked his question.

"Mostly just chewing on Bucky's arm and fingers, he's teething." You responded as you played with your beautiful baby boy on the floor of your living room. "He's also been trying to walk, if he's holding onto something he can do it. Now if we could just get him to speak." You smiled as you watched your son begin to stand, looking around for something to grab. "Come on, James, you can do it! Use those legs baby boy!"

"Is he walking?" Loki asked eagerly, dying to hear your response.

"Come on, James! Walk to me and mommy, and you can have some yummy baby food!" Bucky attempted to bribe your son, only to open the container and hold back a gag.

"Did you really just bribe him with baby food? Come on, they hate that stuff. The goats won't even eat it." You laughed, leaning back in between Bucky's legs as he sat on the couch behind you. "Come on, bud. If you can walk over here, I'll make you some yummy baby food."

"Darling, remember when you used to use your magic on flowers, just like your mother?" Loki asked softly.

"Of course, why do you bring that up now?"

"Do it, it'll grasp his attention." Your father spoke.

"Hmm, worth a shot." You mumbled, grabbing a flower from the table beside you, making sure your son was watching as you picked each petal off, one by one, then using your magic to bring it back to life, the blue glow capturing his full attention.

"I think it's working, doll. Do it again, look how wide his eyes get when he watches the mist." Bucky whispered in your ear as he continued to sit behind you.

Sure enough, your sons eyes widened once again, and you watched intently as he slowly put one foot in front of the other, repeating the action slowly until he finally reached you, grabbing your hands as your power continued to flow around you. "Do you like the pretty lights baby boy?" You asked softly, grasping his attention and causing him to smile and laugh.

"Did it work, darling?" You heard your fathers voice once again.

"It did! Only about five steps, but he did great!" You responded, lifting your son above you before letting him softly fall into your lap, blowing raspberries on his cheeks. "Thanks daddy, I don't know why I didn't think of that."