Chapter 9: Strange Visions

Chapter 9

Bria POV

I sat on the edge of one of the platform like structures that elves call flets, swinging my legs up and down.  The fine flute of wine by my side was untouched, and as Ofi came and got down next to me, heavily plonking on the floor, it tipped and the crimson liquid spilt.

“Don’t think much of these ‘flet’ things, d’you?” Ofi questioned, his own wine sloshing around in his hand.

“Can’t say I do” I said, looking down at the far off ground in apprehension.

“Now, some might find this Lothlorien appealing, beautiful even, but for me nothing can compare to the beauty of cold hard stone and a sharp axe in hand” Ofi continued, seemingly oblivious to the fact I’d spoken. He carried on talking, nattering on into the sky, and I clapped a hand on his shoulder as I stood.

“Don’t drink too much of this Elvish wine, Ofi. Strong draughts can change even the stoutest opinion.” I said, discreetly tipping his glass down to the floor.  The flet we had been given was large, a wooden hut erected around the tree that held it up. When you entered the one roomed shelter, the tree was in the centre of the round room. It wasn’t grand, but some were. Ofi and I had been blindfolded on our way here, but it was easy to see some of the glittering palace like structures that balanced between trees. I shuddered and rolled my eyes, only the elvish would need houses in trees.

“You do not like our wines, Bria Ironfrost?” asked a questioning, quiet voice from behind me. Mistil, the elf who had shown us around this wretched forest with its tree…things, and following behind her, Tirnel and Faineth.

“You are Ironfrost now, Bria? How much did I truly miss?” said Tirnel, tilting her head to the side inquisitively, like a strange, pale bird.

“Yes, they name her that for the way she tore through the snow with her axe. And her bravery, without Bria, we would have barely survived the mountain pass.” Caranel leant against the hut, a scroll open in her hand. Attempting to gain more knowledge about the stone and its history, I believe.

“I came up with it!” Ofi slurred drunkenly from where he sat.

“Goodness, Ofi, how much have you been drinking?” Caranel said, kicking his glass away, and frowning. “We will have to leave to greet the lord and lady of this wood soon, it would be nice if you would just be sober!”

I laughed at Ofi’s grunt, and to my surprise, Tirnel did as well. I must have looked at her strangely, for the next thing I knew, she was standing by my side and smiling.

“Thank you for saving me, Bria. Caranel is right, there is no way I would’ve survived without your courage. And… I am sorry for the unjustified manner in which I have treated you in. I held you responsible for others crimes, while now I see that you should not suffer for that. Sorry, Bria. May I offer you friendship?”

She held out a hand to me, smiling in earnest. I hesitated, then took the outstretched arm, and pulled her into an embrace.

“There is no need to be so formal, my friend. Perhaps one day you will see fit to tell me the extent of your former hatred.”

Mistil interrupted, by calling us all to come and greet the lord Celeborn and lady Galadriel, and so we exited the flet. Tirnel, Oreth, Caranel and Faineth were clothed in long, plain white elven gowns, and I wore a shorter version of the same, though I could not say it was well suited to me. The men wore dark blue tunics over pale shirts and leggings. All the silvers and blues blinded me, as did the beauty of Lothlorien. It was a strange kind of beauty, sort of unearthly. At last we reached the centre of Caras Galadhon, and the place where we would meet the lord and lady of the wood.