Chapter 13: Of Dragon Fire

Faineth POV

"What"!?" I spluttered, confused and afraid. I stood up from where I was sitting beside Caranel, who had raised her head in confusion. He couldn't be serious. No way. The dragons were all gone. Smaug the Magnificent had been the last of the great Fire Drakes."Ofi, you must be mistaken! I swear by the moon and sun, there are no more dragons!"

Ofi shook his head slowly. "No Faineth, it is you who is wrong. There are dragons. I have seen them."

"And I," agreed Bria.

"I believe we all have," added Thannor, gesturing upwards. "That, Faineth, mellon nin, was by all means a dragon."

"Oh, there is no way it was," I scoffed at him. "Probably just a huge bird."

My sister looked at me condescendingly. "Ah. You were not there for all of the council, were you? You did not hear Ornor Brighthand tell tale of dragons."

"The fiery breath of a dragon can enhance the Stone's power," continued Ofi. "No doubt these be going to the dark lord."

"Foul hounds returning to their master," added Boron, leaning on his sword.

I was still bemused, my heart pounding so loud that surely everyone heard it. Dragons! That was a dragon. There are still dragons. Startling realisation dawned on me; the quest was hopeless. What could we do against a dark lord who could summon dragons? Dragons could win any war in minutes. Dragons, an ancient enemy of elves, men and dwarves. Dragons.

I came out of my reverie to Tirnel’s voice. She had scaled a tree, using knives to pull herself up, and had clearly just reached the top. “Gwaem!” [let us go!]

I jumped up and returned the call, “Man cenich, Tirnel?” [what do you see, Tirnel?]

Amlug dadwen!”  [the dragon returns! (amlug is actually noldorin, I can’t find the Sindarin word)]

As Tirnel clambered down the tree, I bent down to Caranel. “Alright, you’re going to have to get up. Can you run? The dragon is ret-“

“I understand the basics of your language, Faineth! And I also understand we need to move. I may not be able to sprint, but I can run.”

As she pulled herself to her feet, face still painfully pale, I marvelled at the woman’s courage. She had been willing to sacrifice herself to defend us, she had nearly died, she had accepted her death, and now, seconds after her close encounter, she’d get up on her feet and flee yet more danger. I didn’t think I had nearly as much courage.

Almost as soon as she was up, another ear splitting roar rocked the forest. I exchanged a glance with Thannor, his eyes were wide and a hand was already reaching for an arrow. Not that any normal arrow could kill a dragon. The last of the legendary black arrows had been used up decades before.

“What are we waiting for?” shouted Alric, his voice louder than I’d ever heard it. “Go! Go!”

We rushed down to the riverside as the creature circled round again. I fell into step with Oreth, who was sprinting so fast her legs were a blur, a long, thin knife clutched in her hand. Noting this, I followed her example and pulled out my own sword, despite the fact running with it was hard. The dragon roared again just as we reached the beach. It was far closer than before, its belly brushing the tips of trees. I could feel hot, putrid breath touch my back and I put on speed, suddenly realising what was about to happen. The boats. The wooden boats. With all our supplies in.

I reached the nearest canoe and grabbed a pack, slinging it over my shoulder, about to get in. But then I stopped. None of the others had joined me, and I could hear Boron shouting my name. I turned….and faced the dragon. Never in my life had I been so afraid as when those huge red eyes stared at me.

“You are Faineth, daughter of the elvish. You are lost, you and all your party. I can see into your heart, Faineth. You cannot hide from me. I am Naegung pain-bringer, and I see your heart. You have a family, one is lost. You have friends. You have opinions, beliefs, feelings. You have a heart, Faineth of the elves, and I see it. And I see what your sister bears. Through you comes her downfall, and through her downfall comes that of Arda. The children of Iluvatar, the maiar, valar, Iluvatar himself, all will fall. To the power of Sauron the great and his master. Morgoth Bauglir will be raised and ALL WILL FALL TO THEM. And all will be because of you, Faineth of the elvish. All because of you. The  downfall of Arda starts here, with Naegung pain-bringer and a cowardly daughter of Iluvatar!”

I froze up, my heart sinking downwards, everything lost. I was trapped, enraptured by the huge scarlet slits. Naegung’s sickly yellow scales rippled in the disappearing sunlight, and then the clouds covered what was left of the light. The day was dark, and I stared into the eyes of a dragon.

“Your heart is impure. You were born elvish, fair they call you, fair, but every day you wish for a different life. No more confines, no more imposing rulers, no more coddling family. You wish you were not immortal. Your heart is impure, elf-child. For that is what you are. You fear you have lived too long, but to me you are nothing. An insignificant little speck, a pawn in the plan of my masters. I have lived long, so long. Since the days when Morgoth called us into being. Since the days were black, and I feasted on elf-flesh every hour. Since battles raged over lands that no longer exist. And now come the last of days. The last of days, when all shall be black, when my greatest allies will return to do battle with your greatest heroes. It all starts now, Faineth of Rivendell and Mirkwood, Faineth of her family and friends, Faineth of the Second Fellowship, Faineth of the snow white clouds, Faineth of hopeless dreams. It all starts now, with you and your sister, and with me.”

The world seemed to slow as I processed what Naegung had just said. My heart beat loud in my ears, loud as drums, as fire welled up in those wicked eyes. Naegung began to turn, and I saw what would happen. The lava that was growing in his throat would reach his mouth, he would spin, scorch my sister and friends to ashes, and fly off, off to his master with the shard, find the stone and Arda would fall. All would fall.

Naegung turned towards Tirnel.

And she still stared at me.

AN: ASDFJKLL I MADE A CLIFF HANGER. ALsO thIS wAs SO fUN to WriTE