Pagt

"Oiiii!! They've started!! Come on!" the men are even rowdier in the evenings, usually because they've been drinking all day but now there are 100 more men out there yelling over one another, telling tall tales of war and being masters of the universe. Always a pissing contest with this lot. The bonfire is now fiercely burning, you can smell it, and the new recruits have set up their own spots around the village. Arguments had been flaring but they were quickly hushed for fear of Gorm hearing and making examples out of them for entertainment. 

I can hear everything here, they are overwhelmingly loud but in my prison everything is silent. I close my eyes every once in a while to listen. Playing with the beams of light in my wall, now an orange hue pooling through, using my fingers. It's soothing.

I contemplate joining them for this feast. Earlier it felt easier to be out amongst them before I realise the gravity of my situation, I'm right back where I used to be. My existence is in danger again. I need to play my cards right.

If I don't join them will anyone really notice? If some of them do notice, it will definitely be the new comers. The others will eventually tell them who I am, but hiding doesn't send any sort of threat. I can't just sit here and wait for them to come find me in the middle of the night, allowing them to try and take me. I definitely can't fight a whole hoard of them. If I walk straight into the group and sit amongst them they won't question me, they might see me as brave? Maybe they'll all be too drunk to care? I chopped my hair off and dressed in father's clothes to avoid this trouble but even that isn't enough right now. I need a plan. "Fuck this is a nightmare" I grumble into my pillow. 

Knocknocknocknocknock!

I roll over and freeze. No one dares knock on my door. Ever. I breathe quietly reaching for my daggers and sword. Making my way towards the door, I leave my sword unsheathed just in arms reach and keep my daggers at the ready. Fuckfuckfuckfuck Ok it's fine. Stay focused. If it's one or more of them fight your way out and head for the brook.... Fuck!

I pull open the door and stood there patiently is Leif. He's shrouded in a red hue from the sunset, standing tall and very formally with his arms by his sides. Is he smiling at me?! I look him up and down. He's unarmed. Confusion washes over me and it must be so clearly written on my face. His eyes flicker over me and he clears his throat.

"Apologies for the intrusion" He's speaking to me in English and my confusion grows. He was always impressively well spoken, but he only conversed in Danish and Norse. I've heard him use short English phrases a few times since he first arrived but never directly to me, then again we have never been alone before.

I refuse to let my guard down and tighten the grip on my daggers resting behind my back. Leif's eyes flick down and he's noticed I'm armed. Shit! "I understand why you have them but I can promise you, they aren't necessary. I mean you no harm." 

I have never spoken to him or any of those brutes. I have watched him from a distance, and listened to how he spoke to everyone. Keeping order and a genuine sense of structure in the ranks. I can safely say without him the helm they all would have starved ages ago. Remember, he is still one of them.

"You do not need to welcome me in. I just wanted to speak with you. Is that alright?" He is asking my permission? I swallow and nod. Still confused, still armed, still ready to strike.

"I understand that we have subjected you to a lot, I cannot do more than apologise. I had to follow my orders, I sincerely wish to this day that everything could have ended differently." He sounds like he's swallowed a letter. Has he been practising this?

"And after all that... What they did... what they tried to do to you. They deserved it. I am truly sorry..." He... apologised to me? An apology... from one of them?!