Chapter 2: A Big Surprise

Seventh and eighth period flew by pretty quickly which was quite strange. You would think that school here would last an eternity, but time seems to speed up when you’re having fun. The school bell rung, and I was finally off to ninth period – the final class of the day! Unfortunately for me, ninth period was also the worst period by far: Phys Ed.

I slipped on my messenger bag and walked out of my Art class to the gym, which was on the sixth floor of the building – otherwise known as the “Sky Floor”, due to the fact that it was at the highest floor of the school. Spike had mentioned that the gym had a large basketball court and some bleachers that ran across the walls of the gym, and a “ginormous” window that allowed the students to have a perfect view of the city.

The moment I stepped foot into the hallway, it was as if I were being sucked into a black hole. The amount of students at this school unnerved me greatly, but I was determined to do my best to pass all my classes and make my parents proud – well, at least my mom.

After endless running up the stairs, I had finally arrived at doors of the gym. Taking a large breath, I pushed open the wooden doors and found myself staring at a large room. On the left side of the room was a huge basketball court, while the other side of the gym was for tennis and volleyball. Just like Spike had said, both sides of the walls were covered with blue bleachers – and a massive glass window that extended from the floor to the ceiling was set in the middle of the north side wall, giving us all a perfect view of the outside.

The interior was painted white, and the roof looked steel grey. As I set my gaze upon the center of the gym, I finally noticed the school logo etched into the floor – a white shield with six pink stars inside of it. The sounds of basketballs hitting the wooden floor pierced through my train of thought, and it took me at least ten seconds to finally realize that there was quite a lot of students in this period.

“Hey! Pink hair!” A male voice shouted out causing me to squeak out in fright. I spun around and noticed a tall, burly man walking towards me with a clipboard in one hand while the other was balled into a fist. The man had a deep blue buzz cut with a silver nose ring. He wore a blue and white polo shirt with black shorts and Nikes. “You, right there! What brings you to my class?”

By now he only stood a few feet away from me with his arms crossed tightly over his chest. He eyed me with an angry expression on his face.

“I-I a-actually b-belong… Here…” I whimpered out and looked down at the floor, trembling like mad. The man remained in his position, but he soon began to bark out in laughter, catching me off guard. He held one of his heavily muscular arms around my shoulders and continued to laugh.

“Yeah, yeah I know. You’re the new girl everyone has been talking about. Don’t stress out – Principal Celestia informed me about you being in my class,” I finally looked up at the man with misty eyes and I saw that his once furious expression changed into a rather friendly one. “I’m your new coach – Iron Will. By the looks of it, I can already tell that you’re not really into sports, am I right?”

I only nodded, still trembling with fear. Coach Iron Will laughed and patted my back reassuringly, “It’s okay, I’m sorry for the huge scare. I should have taken it easy on you. No hard feelings... Okay, now I do expect a lot from you in this class.

“You are required to bring gym clothing for this period, a combination lock for your new locker, and any other things you might need for this class. You are expected to participate in everything we do as a daily grade, along with your change of clothing. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are our track and field days which means we go outside to run a mile, and afterwards play some sports – or if you want, you can just walk during that time. And that’s basically it!” Coach Iron finished up with a smile, and explained to me that he would get me own locker tomorrow as soon as I arrived to the gym.