SIXTEEN: DIRT-COLORED EYES

los angeles, california | june of 2016

scarlet walked inside tyler's studio. nobody was in there. on top of tyler's piano, she saw a piece of paper with a couple of words on it.

you don't understand me,
what the fuck do you mean?
it's them rose-tinted cheeks,
yeah it's them dirt-colored eyes

"dirt-colored eyes..." scarlet read it out loud. those weren't the color of her eyes. she bit on her bottom lip and sighed as she put the paper down. "dirt-colored eyes," she repeated. suddenly, tyler walked inside of the studio, taken aback from seeing her. scarlet spun around, her eyes tearing up. "sing this for me..." she held the paper up and looked down at the ground. tyler gulped. he suddenly became nervous. it was even worse that he had just spent the whole day with wyatt and is just coming back now. "read it, tyler." her voice was stern and it cracked when she said his name.

he walked up to her and took the paper out of her hands. "you don't understand me, what the fuck do you mean...it's them rose-tinted cheeks, yeah it's them dirt-colored eyes." he sung the song with no emotion but a slight cadence. he looked back at scarlet who was still staring at the floor.

"where were you?" she asked.

"with wyatt," he answered, his voice low.

"noted," was all she said before she folded her arms and walked out of the studio. tyler watched her and took an uneasy breath. he had a song in his head that he wanted to write out. he did that so he could get his mind off scarlet.

"look at my face...look at that joy."