The end

It was nearing the end of summer, it was slowly starting to get darker earlier and the nights were getting cooler, Mark didn't mind that summer was ending, he enjoyed summer but he also really liked autumn so he was ready for the season to change.

It was pretty early in the morning, the sky was starting to turn pink and orange, it was still a little dark out. Mark hadn't meant to wake up so early, but he did go to bed pretty early the night before so it made sense that he woke up early.

He was sitting on the roof of his house, he could easily get to his roof from the window of his bedroom. He would've woken up Katherine so she could watch the sunrise with him but she seemed too peaceful so he decided to let her sleep.

He watched the sunrise and was quiet, he was humming a song to himself, he had a guitar in his room that he could bring with him onto the roof to play, but he didn't want to wake Katherine.

He sat watching the sunrise, soon instead of humming he quietly started singing.

"I woke up in a strangers bed
With pins and needles in my head
And the clock ticking off the wall
I don't even know myself
I wish I could be someone else.."

He was never a fan of his own singing, he also never sang in front of others, he rarely sang in front of people. He couldn't even remember the last person he sang in front of.

As he sang quietly he didn't notice that Katherine had woken up and was starting to climb out of the window. She stopped and smiled hearing him sing then climbed onto the roof with him.

She looked at him and sat next to him "hey stranger" she smiled and kissed his cheek.

Mark just smiled at her and blushed in embarrassment "did I wake you? I'm sorry if I did.." he said.

"You didn't don't worry about it...why'd you stop singing?" She asked and looked at him.

"..I'm not the biggest fan of my singing.." he said and looked down. His singing was just another thing he was insecure about, and it bothered him that he was so insecure about it, because he enjoyed singing.

"Well I think it's wonderful...would you please sing a little more?" She asked and rested her head against his shoulder.

"...one second.." Mark said and climbed off the roof, he carefully climbed back in his room and a few seconds later Katherine heard him speak.
"Can you grab this please?"

Katherine looked over the edge of the roof and noticed him holding a guitar out the window, Katherine reached down and grabbed it and managed to pull it up onto the roof, she smiled as Mark climbed onto the roof.

He took the guitar from her and put it on his lap, he played a few chords to make sure it was tuned and smiled, it sounded pretty good.

He was quiet for a minute trying to think of a song to play, he started strumming and smiled a little as he started singing.
"Without you I feel broke
Like I'm half of a whole
Without you I got no hand to hold
Without you I feel torn
Like a sail in a storm
Without you I'm just a sad song"

He still felt a little embarrassed about singing in front of her but he knew that she wouldn't judge him so that made him feel better about it.

He stopped singing before the chorus, he looked at her and smiled a little "what'd you think?" He asked curiously.

Katherine grinned and clapped "that was wonderful Mark! Would you mind singing me another song?" She asked.

"Oh sure!" Mark smiled at her and gave her a quick kiss then started playing guitar again, he started singing and smiled.
"Said hello to someone new
What kind of luck I have that
I could meet anyone, but I met you"