1. A Heartfelt Welcoming

It was as if today, of all days, the city of Baton Rouge decided to be bustling with life, rendering Nydirah late for her brunch with her older sisters

It was as if today, of all days, the city of Baton Rouge decided to be bustling with life, rendering Nydirah late for her brunch with her older sisters. She missed them dearly, so this meeting would be great for them to catch up for old times' sake. Between school, working at the cafe and a restaurant specifically meant for uppity, weathly people, and trying to maintain a decent enough social life, she found it hard to communicate with her sisters on a daily basis.

To say college was kicking her ass would be an understatement. She, indeed, was smart, but the workload often became overbearing. In high school, Nydirah was one of those people who couldn't stand not doing anything. She invested her time in extra curricular activities, sports, and just about anything to keep her busy, whereas she realized too late she would have too much on her plate if she pulled a stunt like that in college.

She was unbelievably tired at the end of everyday, but she managed to push forward. Nydirah no longer wanted to rely on her parents to pay her tuition because they had lives of their own. She felt as if she was the most dependent of the Allen children and she wanted to change that.

Nydirah groaned as the owner of the Toyota Corolla began driving sporadically in front of them. She wasn't even an expert at driving, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to know they were breaking a lot of the rules of the road. She simply shook her head, shrinking down in her seat, already irritated by the smell of smoke in the Uber driver's car. Today was just not her day.

She was in the middle of grumbling to herself about how much she hated being late when the driver cleared his throat, signifying they had finally arrived to her destination. Nydirah quickly thanked him before doing a light jog to reach the inside of the local eatery that her, Nayeli, and Zonnique agreed to. It was their favorite as a childhood and they thought it would be a good choice since it was filled with nostalgia.

"Mira, Look. It's Nydirah," Nayeli cried out, getting out of her seat to give her younger sister a warm embrace. They weren't of Spanish heritage, but that didn't stop Nayeli from picking up words her El Salvadorian boyfriend, Bryan, used so often.

Zonnique joined them to form a group hug, a big smile plastered on her face. She had a fair share of disagreements with Nydirah from time to time, but she was willing to put that all in the past in hopes to build a better, stronger bond with her. They always had differing views, however, it was their similarities that caused the most issues. They were just like oil and water; couldn't mix for anything.

"I missed you both so much," Nydirah sighed when their group hug disbanded. She pulled out a chair, sitting in front of Nayeli. Besides their two year age difference, they could've passed for twins. Zonnique, however, favored them only a little and was a reflection of most of their father's features.