Chapter 1

My most faithful Radek,

Enclosed is something I have wanted to give you for a while. I believe that you know exactly what I would say if I were giving it to you in person. I am still convinced that part of my soul is inside. May it guide you as you fulfill your destiny. Know that I will always be here, and may we soon find ways of communicating after the time comes. I will admit, it hasn't been the same with you not being here. I do hope that there are many pinecones there for you to enjoy.
Pinecones...perhaps we could learn to communicate that way. But for now, know that I will always be looking to the stars.
-
Fay POV

Rowan, give it back" I growl as my brother snatches The Dragons of Silversong out of my hands. I tackle him to the ground, taking back what I had long-ago claimed as my property.

"I liked you better when you were 6" he laughs. "When you weren't strong enough to tackle me"

Rowan had always said that I was strong for my age. I believed him. After all, I didn't have parents to justify that, and we had never seen any other people. But that was okay. My books were enough for me.

If anyone knew us, they'd probably say that Rowan had raised me. But after our parents died, my books practically took their place. But Rowan and I still had a close bond. I couldn't have made it without him.

But throughout the years, one thing drove me insane-my books. No, not because they were so good, not because they had started falling apart from me reading them so much, but the author. Who was it, you ask? That's the thing. I don't know.

As I walked into my room, the familiar bookshelf greeted me. Carefully, I placed The Dragons of Silversong back in its usual position.

It was then that I noticed the patch of light brown fur on the floor. I picked it up, and realized that it was from a cat.

One slight problem- We don't have a cat. There aren't any cats around here. Which could only mean one thing...