3.

"Don't judge a book by it's cover." He replies. "You don't know me," he rubs Stella's ears. "Go ahead and tell everyone at school about this." He shrugs. "I don't care."

"I'm not the type to spread rumors." I reply.

"Your bleeding." He points to my arm. I look down and see a scratch.

"I probably got scratched by Stella." I shrug.

"I'm very sorry." He says.

"it's okay." I shrug. "I've been scratched by a dog before."

His eyes light up. "Do you have a dog?" he asks.

I look away from him. The mention of Bella always makes me sad. It's been six years, but if I just had been paying attention, Bella wouldn't have been hit. It's my fault that Bells is dead.

"Had." I mutter, walking past him. He follows me.

"What happened?" he asks.

"Does it really matter?" I ask patiently.

"I lost a dog once." He frowns, his eyes filling with sadness. "His name was Eggs. He was the color of an egg and I loved him. We used to live on the beach and my asshole step dad tied him to the docks and he fell in." his eyes fill with anger. "He drowned and got hung at the same time. I found him hanging by his neck off of the side of the dock."

"Is that why you started to acting out?" I blurt.

"That's not your business." He snaps.

I roll my eyes. "I didn't rip your head off when you asked me a question I didn't want to answer." I snap.

He frowns. "Yes, it was." He says.

I'm quiet for a minute. "Bella um...I didn't have her on the leash. I was sure she was trained enough, but Mom and Dad and Ben were telling me to give her more time, but I didn't listen to them. I was only ten at the time, and I took her outside. I live on Lemon...she ran out into the road and I tried to stop her but-" I cut off, shaking my head.

"You should get another dog." He says.

"I can't." I reply, heading for the sidewalk. He follows me again, stopping to grab his skateboard.

"I thought that until four months ago." He ruffles Stella's ears. "And then my younger sister begged me to take her to puppy palace. My dad had been pestering me on getting a new dog. I saw Stella." He laughs. "She bit the guys hand when I asked to hold her, but she licked my face." He grins. I get on my board and he gets on his, following me. "The point Melly, is that dogs are not only a man's best friend, but a woman's best friend as well." He says. "You should get one."

"I have a best friend." I reply.

"You deserve another one." He pesters. "Come on." He begs.

"No." I say. I stop at Dunkin Donuts and Mason follows me in with Stella.

Ben shoots daggers at Mason. "Who are you? Why are you with my sister? You can't have dogs in here." He says. Right when the manager walks into the back, Ben steps forward and pets Stella's head. "I don't care if pets are in here, but my manager will kill me if I don't snap at you for it." he whispers.

Mason opens the door and stands just on the other side of the entrance.

Most bad boys would just ignore the rules and stay inside.

"Well I'm fine and alive." I say.

Mom's car pulls into the Dunkin Donuts parking lot and she gets out of the car. Relief floods her face when she sees me. I look at the clock.