Chapter 5: The Prisoner

The most purulent smell woke me up and had me gagging over the side of the bed. It smelled like a mixture of decaying carcass, rotten eggs, and cooked cabbage.

"Sienna! You're awake!" Before I could recover, I was enveloped in Rose's embrace. I looked past her shoulder to see Saffron holding her nose and carefully placing the stopper back on the offending vial.

"I'll go tell the others she is awake!" I heard Cerise say before her footsteps ran from the room.

"What was that?" I asked gulping in fresh air as the odor completely dissipated.

"You've never been subjected to Liar's Breath before? Color me surprised," Saffron said while she picked up a basin of dirty water.

I was surprised to see Saffron here in the medicinal room. And she seemed to be doing stuff. Am I dead or someplace else? I don't know where I'd be... just some other reality where Saffron was considerate and self-sacrificing. Just now she threw the contents of the basin out the window, a distant exclaim rose up from the unsuspecting victim down below.

Scratch that.

She caught me looking at her and misinterpreted. "Don't give me that look. You were not waking up! I wish I did it earlier, so you could've cleaned yourself up. You're welcome!"

I glanced down and saw I was in a fresh gown. The dirt and grime of the forest had been washed away. All that remained was some light-yellow bruising that would disappear within a day or two, which Rose seemed intent on inspecting. I was half-expecting to see my dress from last night still muddied and ripped at the hem. Memories of the dragon attack, the scattered fire and strange pieces, and the boy with the removable bulky eyes, came to mind with abrupt clarity.

"... down and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. I feel so bad. If I hadn't brushed you off, you-"

"The boy? Where is he? What happened? Oops. I'm sorry, Rose, were you saying something?"

"It's fine," she smiled. "Are you okay?"

"Of course. I'm fine." I stood up to back up my claim and I shooed her hands away that were trying to get me to sit back down. "The boy that was in the ... dragon..."

Even as I said it, I knew it was not right. But I could not think of any other word to describe the thing.

"It wasn't a dragon. Not a real dragon. That is all we know for now," Rose said.

"If it wasn't a dragon... then what was it? And what about the boy?" I asked impatiently.

Rose and Saffron exchanged a look I couldn't read. Saffron seemed to be against telling me, I think.

"He's in the dungeon. They are questioning him," Rose finally answered.

"About the dragon? But he was injured."

Before I could say more, the rest of my sisters flooded through the door and I was bombarded by hugs, kisses, questions, and tears.

Someone cleared their throat and they parted so I could see Ruby standing poised in the doorway. "You will have time for your questions later. The entourage from Eldair have been spotted entering the city gates. We must all go prepare to be presented." We all obediently began to file out the door. I tried to follow behind Rose when Ruby stopped me. "Not you, Sienna. Father said you can keep resting."

"But I'm fine," I argued.

"Just stay here. You've been through enough."

"But. I'm. Fine." I repeated under my breath, but I sat back down on the bed, ready to commence my pouting. I felt her hand rest on my head. I looked up. She seemed as if she were about to say something but shook her head.