Chapter 14: Beneath the Maidenhair Tree

The heat reigned supreme into the afternoon hours of my day of birth. Underneath the immaculate shade of the overreaching branches of a maidenhair tree, Tallis and I were sprawled out on the grassy hillside.

Though I wanted to round up fizzles with him, since he has never done so before, that would have to be saved for another day. It was too hot to walk around the forest in the traditional dress. I had already banished my heels and the headdress with utter delight.

A pin that had been annoying me through the jousting event was now stuck into the ground like a battle-weary sword. My long brown hair was completely down, falling over my shoulders with wild abandonment.

I finished the tedious task of creating a flower ring by meticulously twisting the stem, only for it to break as soon as I tried placing it onto my finger. I let out a sigh of utter frustration. Tallis was quiet, intent upon studying a fallen leaf from the tree. It was already starting to lose its color: the green shade being infected with yellow gold.

"Winter will be here before too long. I hope we get a few more weeks of warmth though," I remarked filling the deafening silence.

"Why would you wish for that? It is only going to get hotter. And you've done nothing but complain about the heat today," he said, his eyes still glued to the wide piece of foliage.

"No. I've complained about this dress. If I were wearing something more appropriate for this weather, I'd have nothing to complain about."

Tallis just grunted at this and rolled his neck about before laying his back against the hill. Highveine laid out in front of us below our feet. When he closed his eyes, I leaned over and poked his cheek.

"Are you going to sleep? Are you tired or just bored?"

The corner of his mouth twitched, and he kept his eyes closed. "Neither. Well, maybe a bit tired. I am just thinking and enjoying the silence. You should try it."

"I hate silence."

"I've noticed." He then opened his eyes and turned on his side facing me, prompt up on his elbow. "What would you like to talk about? Since you've ordered me to be here."

"Oh. I am sorry. I didn't realize."

"Realize what?"

"You are upset with me!" I scoffed. He raised an expressive eyebrow. "Don't act like you're not. But why are you upset? Do you not like spending time with me?"

He sighed. "It's not that. I just don't like being ordered."

"I was joking!"

"Sure you were..."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing. It's just... you're a princess. If you tell someone to do something, they must do it. They can't make the choice, no matter what intentions you had. Maybe you should think about that next time you jest."

"You would do anything I order you to do?"

"I wouldn't have much choice. You can easily turn things around on me. If you started screaming right now and claimed that I touched you in anyway, I would be killed. No questions asked."

"I would never do that!"

"I'm not saying--- that's not the point. The point is you have that power. Just forget it. I'm sorry." He had sat up and now drew his long legs up, resting his forearms on his knees and looked out at the village.

I took a deep breath to calm down and tried to understand his point of view. I suppose if I grew up in less-than-ideal circumstances... if I grew up following orders instead of giving them....