Chapter 8: Left

Thunder clapped in the distance and dark clouds rolled across the sky canvas. Nazam said the Storm Mother will pass overhead without flooding us in her tears for her long lost 'Sun'. The last time we had a day like this, Tallis Gray and the strange airship came. There was an anticipation in the air that day, a stillness that pricked my skin. But not today.

Today, the coming storm was not an exciting thing. It was a melancholic goodbye, but also anger over being abandoned left a bitter aftertaste in the winds. I could not think of a more perfect accompaniment to my feelings. I wanted to scream.

No wonder the Storm Mother roams the world, her stomping creating thunder and her tears of summer rain. Her son had abandoned her! Instead, he follows the damsel who is too free to be caged, who transforms herself into a Lark every morning to fly away from him.

Just like Rose.

Wait, is Rose the lark or the Sun?

Does not matter.

The courtyard was quiet and my thoughts were loud when Rose approached. I refused to turn my head, continuing to pick apart a pink carnation.

"Everyone is wondering where you are at, Enna."

"Everyone except you now," I mumbled.

"Enna... look at me."

"Why should I?" I did anyway. She had her hair up covered by a black hooded cloak. Riding gloves hid her hands and the rest of her figure was concealed by a dark green traveling dress.

"Because I am leaving, and we don't know when we will see each other again."

"We would if you kept your promise."

"I made no promise. I told you I would ask. I did. It's out of my hands. Come say goodbye to Lavender, Violet and Saffron at least."

"Oh, thanks for that reminder! That you're taking them with you to Eldair but not me!"

"You're almost fifteen years old, Sienna! Stop acting like such a child!"

"It's not fair!" I yelled back, immediately ashamed. I did sound childish even to myself. But I couldn't stop feeling what I was feeling.

"You have no one to blame but yourself. You should've kept up your studies--"

"I was chasing you! I was just wanting to ride and have fun and travel with y---"

"And now when it truly matters, you can't," she snapped back. I bit my lip contrite. She continued with a sigh. "Now will you please show Father and everyone you're mature enough to give a proper farewell?"

I was tempted to say no. I wanted to stay right where I was and sulk. They could send guards to haul me to the gates. That will keep gossipers busy for weeks. What an embarrassment to the royal family, they would say. But more than likely, I will just earn a lecture from the queen or Ruby later. Or from Father, if His Royal Highness can be bothered.

Not seeing a real choice in the matter, I gave a nod and followed her out of the courtyard and to the inner gate where nearly everyone was assembled. The Eldairian caravan was set to leave including a good size company of guards and knights. Even the Maruvian Ambassador stood in line to wish them farewell.

I first, as custom, went before my father and bowed. I muttered an apology for my delay and avoided eye contact. He placed a hand lightly on my head, a signal that I may rise. I then turned and hugged Saffron then Violet then Lavender. I bowed to Prince Demetrius who graciously took my hand and kissed it.

He looked in my eyes and said, "I swear she will be safe and well cared for."

"And happy," I added.

He smiled. "And happy."