Chapter 15: The Ball

Glowing candlelight reflected off the hanging glass of the chandelier and bounced off the dangling fine jewels in the ballroom. The result was simply enchanting.

Luckily, my ball gown was not as old fashioned and stifling as my jousting dress had been. The soft blue dress had a white embroidered torso. It would have been considered a heart-shape neckline except for the thin sheer fabric that was set higher and extended like a cape over my bare shoulders and down my back. White gloves encased my arms up past my elbows. The blue represented purity, innocence, and serenity. All attributes assigned to a young maiden on the verge of adulthood.

They placed a mixture of cayenne pepper and olive oil on my lips creating a tingling sensation meant to puff out my smackers. Then they dabbed some light pink balm on my lips for color. I winced as they plucked at my eyebrows, then lined my eyes with a shimmering white powder.

I didn't like my hair being pinned up but it was not proper to even do a half updo for this occasion, so the hairdresser and I reached a compromise. She pinned it up in a way that the length of it fell off to one side onto my shoulder. She also managed to curl it in a way that it resembled Rose's natural waves. The only accessory I had to wear were some matching white embroidery pieces and a few pearls.

I hope it stays up; I had thought very satisfied with my reflection when the servants finished fussing over me. I did a twirl, the weighed skirts billowing around me with a fine grace.

I now stood beside Ruby with my hands folded in front of me, just as she did. We were surrounded by Olive, Jade, Carmine and Cerise along with several young and older ladies of the court, all exchanging pleasantries. Engaging in conversation, I had to reluctantly admit my lessons with my stepmother were paying off splendidly. The women fluttered their fans and complimented the dresses, the decorations, the food, the music, and the tranquility of the weather.

I thanked them for their rehearsed words but told them they have the Divinities to thank for the weather. We cannot take praise for that comfort.

They all just began laughing as if I had made a joke. Except nothing I had said was meant to be in jest.

"I had no idea you were the pious sort, Princess Sienna," Lady Penelope, daughter of the Count and Countess of Harklin Valley, commented.

Pious? What does that even mean?

"We were raised on the Faith of the Divine," Ruby said.

"Not at first," Lady Frida Marthawy said, a sneer set on her lips. "In fact, does your sorcerer not still practice the old ways and pay homage to the Blood Mother?"

"Alderias supports all Faiths. My father, your King, does not persecute those with different beliefs," Ruby reminded the Duchess of Opal Falls with grace. "Nazam was given a choice after the Reformation to convert. He declined. Father respects his right to choose so."

"Oh yes, of course. But one cannot help being a bit suspicious. The old ways did encourage such strange worship. One hears so many stories in the countryside. You must forgive an old women's curiosities. I should have known better. Your Highness does have connections to the old ways. Your mother, for instance---"

"Perhaps you should save your bedtime stories for your grandchildren, Lady Marthawy." Ruby's voice held authority befitting her station as usual. There was, however, an unusual distinct coldness stitched in as well at the mention of her mother.

The twins who also shared the same mother as Ruby were not as composed as their older sister in their reactions. Cerise turned away, trying to hide her face of shame behind a fan. Carmine held the duchess in contempt, her eyes hardened.