Raziel's Guardian (Ch. 3)

Chapter 3

We landed hard, in a tangle of limbs, dislodging his hand from my throat in the process. I tripped over my own feet trying to get away from the murderous son of a bitch and landed on my ass. He lunged at me again and I screamed trying to kick him off me.

"Would you shut up and stop kicking me!" He snarled.

I froze and stared at him. "You just tried to fucking kill me!" I stuttered out in anger.

We both stared at each other. Raziel ran his hand over his face. The movement brought my attention to his strong forearms and bulging biceps. I watched as he gracefully got to his feet, stretched out his wings, and then folded them tightly to his back. The black aura around him moved with his movements.

"I thought you had no power." I blurted out confused.

"I don't." he said shortly. "Not the kind that matters."

"Then what is all that," I gestured to the black tendrils curling off of him.

Raziel began to pace in front of me, the strange glow in his eyes starting again. He began to flex his wings in an agitated fashion. I took a step back from him and he glared at me.

"Stop acting like a scared rabbit." He growled out, stalking towards me.

I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow. "I'm not the one who tried to strangle someone." I retorted, standing my ground.

"I wasn't myself." He clipped out.

I waited for a moment, hoping he would continue because the last time I had seen him, he wasn't exactly Mr. Social Niceties. When he didn't, I sighed and threw up my hands in defeat. This situation couldn't get any worse.

Just as I picked myself off the ground I heard a twig snap in front of me. My eyes met those of a very angry looking hellhound. I shrieked and backed into Raziel. The hound stalked forward and snarled at me. I felt Raziel's arm tighten around my waist right before he pushed me out of the way.

Raziel swept his hand out and the hound snarled once more before loping away. My heart gradually eased out of my throat and back into my chest.

"What was that?" I demanded. "How did you do that?"

"The Fae Queen did this to me." Raziel ground out.

"Did what? What did she do to you?" I demanded, waiting for an answer.

Raziel glared at me. That unholy fire coming back to his eyes once again before fading out as he became agitated once more, seeming to have some internal struggle. There was something seriously wrong with him.

"I don't have my angel born powers or those that were acquired when I ascended to an Archangel. This power that I have now is demonic in nature, but I did not ask for it. She isn't working alone. No Fae has the power to change the fundamentals of one's soul." Raziel explained. "I need to find her; I need to find Zarina."

"So, you're no longer an angel?" I asked. "How do you explain those?" I asked, pointing at his wings.

He glanced at me with amusement. "I said I don't have angelic powers; I was born with the wings."

"You didn't have them when I first saw you."

"When you first summoned me, I had some of my powers, it was second nature to keep them glamoured when not in use. I felt the drain of my abilities from the moment I awakened and something else enter in place of them. I had just enough of my own abilities to portal out of the mortal realm, but I was deposited into a demonic one."