•• 8 ••

"So you're telling me... That Will Byers is talking to you? Telepathically?" The chief laughed. I kept a straight face. He shook his head. "Listen. This is a serious case. You can't just joke around like that."

"Joke around? You think I'm joking around? I still have a headache!" I said, pointing to my head. He sighed.

"Yeah, you should just go home and lie down. Let the professionals handle this." He replied, slowly getting up. I rolled my eyes.

"If you knew what was going on in my head, you would let me lead this case." I muttered. He paused.

•••

I

walked out of the station, grabbing my bike. I pedaled home furiously.

So I waited the whole school day and tried to leave school early just for the 'chief of police' to turn me down? Fine. But I have to prove it to him that I actually can talk to Will and that I could help them.

I arrived home, dropping my bike on the grass. I ran inside and dropped my backpack next to the stairs.

I ran upstairs into my room, shutting the door behind me. I grabbed an old notebook and a pen and waited. I had to hear his voice. Just once and that was all.

"Y/n... It's... Here! Please.... Save... Scared... Help!"

His voice was faint, but I could make out some words. I quickly wrote them down before forgetting. I waited again.

"You... Help... Send... Someone! ... Dark... Forest!"

I wrote the words down and closed the notebook. I had to tell Dustin!

Oh, wait. Apparently, I'm jealous because of that girl. That we don't even know! We could get in trouble just hanging out with her. And besides, I don't even have my walkie talkie.

I fell into my bed, looking up at the ceiling. What do I do? I don't want to hang out with the boys... I could try to go back to the station, but that 'chief Hopper' dude would just laugh in my face and tell me to go home... I could speak to my dad about it...

My dad!

I ran to his study room to find the door locked. I knocked.

"Come in!" He called out. I slowly opened it. He turned to face me. "Y/n! You're back early. How was school?" He asked. I sat down on the old couch that was pushed against the wall between two bookshelves.

"I went to the police station to speak with the chief. I know where Will is, dad. But he won't believe me!" I said. He paused.

"Chief Hopper, right?" He asked. I nodded. "Nice guy. Used to be my buddy back in college. Lost contact when I moved." He said.

"So he was your friend?" I asked. Dad nodded.

"Probably the best one I've had. I'd like to see what he's been up to." He replied. "Say, how about we go down to the sta later and talk to him some more?" Dad suggested. My eyes lit up.

"Yeah! Sure!" I said. I quickly got up and left the study room, closing the door behind me. I grabbed my notebook and stuffed it into my bag.

Maybe he'll listen this time.