Chapter five

One day, at the private lesson with Aileen and Lorcan, they couldn’t concentrate. The happy couple was continuously thinking about their significant other and after ten minutes of thoughts she didn’t want to hear Branna finally snapped.

“If you want me to leave you alone you can just say it, you know.” she said, rolling her eyes.

“What got you so grumpy?” Lorcan asked her.

“Your thoughts.” Branna answered without thinking.

“You can read minds?” Aileen said, widening her eyes and clearing her thoughts by putting a wall around them.

“Eh, yes. But I didn’t want to tell you because I don’t want to be different.” She answered, staring at her shoes.

“You should never be ashamed to be unique. Please tell us of you discover any other gifts, because it would be much easier to narrow your parents down. Okay?” Lorcan said, swinging an arm around her shoulders as he put up a wall too.

“Do you want to test it already?” Aileen asked wearily.

“Okay, what are we going to do?” Branna said, reaching out carefully with her mind to touch the wall around Lorcan’s thoughts.

“Lorcan is fist going to make a weak wall that you have to get through and then it will be a stronger wall every time, okay?” Aileen explained as Lorcan prepared himself.

Branna reached out with her mind again and inspected the wall. It seemed pretty simple, he imagined it as the bedroom walls, which were light purple, and those walls were pretty thin, as she had experienced, so it wouldn’t be hard. She simply gave it a push and broke through it, getting inside his mind.

“Good job!” Lorcan said as she retracted herself, smiling at her.

“Let’s try a stronger one, shall we?” he said, building up a much stronger one.

Again, Branna reached out, discovering that these walls were very similar from the walls around the school, which were meters thick and made of hard stones, almost impossible to go through. She gave it a push, but she knew it was hopeless, she would have to do something different. The walls from the school had an entrance, didn’t they? So there must be an entrance here too. Just as she thought that, the doors from school appeared in the walls and she walked right through them.

“Interesting, honey, she made a door in my walls to get through them, instead of pushing them over.” Lorcan told Aileen, smiling broadly.

“She is very talented.” Aileen replied, getting to the next aspect.

“Okay Branna, I need you to build your own wall, okay? To protect you from others if they try to read your mind.” she said, explaining how to build her own walls.

Branna closed her eyes and tried to think of any walls that she could use. When nothing came across her mind, she decided to make her own, made from big heavy red stones and very high and thick. After that, she opened her eyes again and nodded it signal that they could start.