Chapter 2

September 15th, 2027- Seven Years Later

Emma's POV: Walking around the gym, I watching the students train proudly. About two years ago, a man in a suit showed up at my office and offered me a job. He told me about his idea of building a sanctuary for the kids. I'll admit, I was skeptical at first. I thought the man was insane to attempt to build a shelter for these kids right under the government's noses, but, after seeing what he's built here, I wanted in.

I spent the last few months teaching the kids how to control their powers and defend themselves. It seems like they're improving every day.

"Nicely done", I complimented. "Again", I instructed, before spotting a brunette sitting against the wall alone, writing in her journal. Shaking my head, I crossed my arms as I studied the girl disappointingly.

My first two weeks working here were mostly just talking to kids about their powers and their experiences. A few of their parents even donated the money to help fund the school, but most of their parents dropped them off here because they simply wanted nothing else to do with them. Some of the kids were even kicked out of their houses and were lucky enough to be found by one of our teams.

But that all changed when some of our staff returned from Fort Valley, Georgia with a group of kids. We were able to help most of the kids, but some of them didn't survive.

Soon afterward, I was helping most of them deal with the trauma of whatever happened in the prison camps, including Dr. Saltzman's daughter, Josie Saltzman.

Most of the kids were willing to talk about it, but the others...

They couldn't be helped.

Josie has always been sort of a mystery to me. She had potential to be one of the brightest minds at this school, and possibly one of our most valuable fighters, but the girl would never put herself out there. She constantly had her head in the clouds, and never put in the time of the effort.

I attempted to confront her about it, but every time I think I'm making progress, she withdraws further into herself.

I had a similar case with Hope Mikaelson, the daughter of one the most powerful families in history. She claimed that everyone was safer if they kept their distance. She even locked herself inside her room for days, and refused to eat or talk to anyone. I had trouble to even get her to talk to me, but she eventually trusted me enough to open up a little.

Speaking of...

"Hope", I sighed, spotting the girl watching everyone else from the bleachers. "Hope, why are you sitting over here by yourself", I asked.

"Josie's by herself", she shrugged.

"Yes, I'm aware", I sighed. "Hope, you can't keep doing this", I scolded.

"It's better this way", she whispered quietly.

"Don't you want friends", I asked her carefully, causing a pained expression to cross her face before she quickly covered it up.

"Friends are overrated", she shrugged, getting up from her chair before walking from the room.

"Hope. You weren't dismissed", I called after her in frustration before the bell rang, signaling the end of class. "That will be all", I told everyone else. "I'll see you all tomorrow", I said, before my eyes returned to Josie as she gathered up her bag and stood up to leave. "Not you, Josie", I spoke up, causing the brunette to pause in front of me.

"Is something wrong", she asked me in confusion.

"Josie, that's the third time this week that you're not participating in class", I pointed out, causing her to look away from me shamefully. "Is everything alright", I questioned.