Chapter 14

I was hardly able to sleep that night.  As son as the sun rose and filtered through my curtains, I began pacing the room.  

How was I supposed to charge Alicia with attempted murder if Grace wouldn't believe me.  No one else was there and that's exactly what Alicia counted on, I thought.  Tears began blurring my vision and I sat down on the floor, leaning against the side of the bed and cried.  I immediately caught myself and pushed the tears back, forcing myself to stop crying.  I can't show anyone my weakness, or Alicia or someone would use them against me.  

I managed to appear as if I hadn't cried at all by the time a nurse came to get me.  She took me to the waiting room, where I found Selina and Georgie waiting for me.  Selina folded her arms and dropped her gaze to the floor, almost ashamed.  I ignored her and gave Georgie a hug, wincing when she touched my shoulders.  

"I'm so glad to see you."  I whispered to her.  

She gave me a small smile as we pulled apart.  

"I'm glad your alright."  She told me.  

I glanced around, on guard for Alicia.  

"Where's Alicia?"  I asked.  

"They took her to jail to await her trial."  Georgie informed me.  

"When is the trial?"   

"Tomorrow."  

I took a deep breath.  I had until tomorrow to think of something.  

Grace's parents came fifteen minutes later and took as all to their place, as they were my godparents.  I wasn't very close with them, however Father was and he trusted them.  Thinking of him cause tears to well up in my eyes again, so I pushed those thoughts away and focused on the words in the song on the radio.  '..it is well with my soul..'  

"Thank-you."  I told Mr. and Mrs. Adam, finally breaking the silence.  

"Don't worry about it, sweetie.  We want you three to feel at home with us.  We'll give as much space as you need."  Mrs. Adam replied.  

I smiled slightly and turned back to watching the scenery fly past us.  

When we pulled up in the Adam's driveway, I took in the once familiar sight of the small white house, corrals and beyond those, there were fields with trees lining them, which didn't end until the highway at the far side.  I knew it would take only twenty five minutes on quad, however forty five on a slow horse ride to cross the fields.  To the left of the driveway was their barn.  Large and grey, my new favourite place.  I took Georgie to the hay loft before we even went inside.  

Grace and I used to spend hours up there, now I told Georgie everything that had happened and watched as she realized that my life was in danger, her mother was really a monster and our lives would never be the same again.  She began crying quietly.  

I enveloped her in hug, pushing back my own tears.  After a few minutes, she pulled away and dried her cheeks with the back of her hand.  She took a deep breath and met my eyes again.  

"Thank-you."  She whispered.

I nodded, unable to smile.  

"Didn't Benjamin say he worked here?"  She asked.  

Benjamin!  Of course, he would believe me, and comfort Georgie better than I would be able to.  

"I hope he still does."  I replied, "Shall we find out?"  

Georgie nodded and we mad our way down the ladder and back to the house.  I tried not to think of Thunder, however I secretly hoped he was alright as we passed between the cattle and horses in their stalls.  

When we stepped inside the house, we found Selina slicing tomatoes and Mrs. Adam was slicing bread.  I assumed they were making sandwiches.  

"Mrs. Adam?"  Georgie asked politely.  

"Yes, dear?"  She replied.  

"Does Benjamin still work here?"  She asked.  

"Of course, sweetie.  He's probably on his way in from the field to eat his lunch."  Mrs. Adam told her.  

"Thanks."  Georgie smiled and walked outside.  

I watched her leave and decided to let her meet him by herself.  

"Does she know Benjamin?"  Mrs. Adam inquired.  

I turned back toward her and glanced at Selina.  He was still slicing the tomatoes, looking as if she was going to drill a hole through the cutting board with her eyes.  

"Quiet well, actually."  I told her, "is there anything I can help with for lunch?"  

"Why, yes, thank you, dear. Would you mind washing the lettus for me?"  

"Sure."  I agreed and began running cold water into the sink.  

I heard the front door swing open and slam shut as Mrs. Adam tried to tell whoever it was not to slam it.  It's probably Benjamin and Georgie, I thought, but was startled when I heard Roy's voice shout an apology to his mother.  

He hurried into the kitchen as he slipped his jacket off and put it on the back of his chair.  

"Hey, Iris.  Long time no see.  How are you doing?"  He asked as he washed his hands in the sink next to the one I washing lettus in.  

"Fine, considering everything.  Thanks."  I replied, glancing at him.  

"And you must be, Selina or Georgie?"  He half asked Selina. 

"Selina."  She answered, her fingers stiffening as she put the tomato slices in a glass bowl beside her and setting it on the table, "Is there anything else, Mrs. Adam?"  

"No, honey, thanks.  Feel free to relax in the living room while we wait for Benjamin."  Mrs. Adam replied, smiling at her.  

I watched curiously as Selina nodded and left through the front door instead of into the hall, which led to the living room.  Roy watched her leave as well, then turned to me.  

"Is she always that cold?"  He asked me.  

"Colder."  I answered, turning back to the lettus.  

Roy's eye brows furrowed as he leaned on the counter and stared out the window in thought.  

HEY EVERYONE!  THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING!  PLEASE CONSIDER VOTING AND/OR COMMENTING IF YOU ENJOYED!  SORRY, NOT MUCH HAPPENED IN THIS CHAPTER, IT'S MORE OF A FILLER CHAPTER, BUT THERE'S A LITTLE BIT OF FORESHADOWING, LET ME KNOW IF YOU NOTICED IT, THANKS:)