7

Chapter Seven

Natasha stayed back with Clint and Sam as the grey things attacked them from the shadows. Her mind was still on the mysterious voice talking in that unknown language. She felt like that was a priority right now. Whoever it was, it had to be connected to these creatures. She memorized the words, wanting to be able to recall them as accurately as possible to do some research on it later. She might not find anything, she might get some answers.

She would've been worried about Steve, maybe even Thor, not that long ago, but the tables have turned with the hooded man being there. The creatures seemed to be focused on him for one, and he seemed to know how to kill them efficiently.

Clint took notice of their apparent weak spot as well, he aimed at the back of their necks as much as possible. Most of his arrows didn't do much damage, much like Natasha's guns, but they seemed to bother the things enough to give great openings for Thor and the hooded man. Steve was much more involved in the fight, but even he kept his distance as much as he could, playing it smart. He was a lot more reckless a few minutes ago, when he was the only one on Thor's side.

It became clear rather quickly that there were only four creatures left, and Natasha liked those odds. The more they killed from these things the less of a threat they seemed, because they learnt more and more about them. Natasha took note of everything that caught her attention, not just the weak spot on their necks. They were just as quick on two-legs than fours, used their claws when they could, but started biting when they became agitated. The tail could be used for attacking, but the horns were just decorations, and could be used against them to grab hold of their heads, if you had the strength for it. They couldn't reach their own backs, so if you stabbed something there, close to the spine, it would stay there, they couldn't get it out. Now if Natasha only knew what the hooded man's spear was made of. She didn't even waste a thought on the spikes, those were definitely firmly in "magic" territory, since they appeared out of nowhere. The spear though, that was definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Thor seemed more brutal in the fight than he was not that long ago. Natasha really wanted to know what ticked him off. It had to be the hooded man, but... well, she was going to refrain from assuming too much just yet.

They disposed of the things surprisingly quickly. And just as the last one hit the floor the hall was flooded with dim lights.

'Oh, who found the light switch?' she asked out loud.

Nobody answered. They watched as Thor marched over to the hooded man like a charging bull, and grabbed him by the throat before anyone could say a word. But then he just stood there for a few moments. The hooded man did nothing in return, the spear was still in his hand, and his grip on it was firm, but he did not raise it to attack.

Then the Winter Soldier dropped down from the ceiling. Sam startled, Clint raised his bow in reflex. Natasha stopped herself form aiming her gun at him, but it was a close thing. Steve was already turning to him, but he seemed torn. He obviously wanted to keep an eye on what Thor was doing too. Barnes wore his tactical googles, and Natasha would bet anything they gave him night vision. His face was most impassive, he gave nothing away.

Thor did not pay attention to Barnes though. His face turned determined as he finally moved again, dragging the hood, then the mask off of the man's head. Then he let out an angry sound. Natasha knew before she caught a glimpse of the face. In a blink, Thor had the other pushed up to a wall so hard it cracked.