59

Chapter Fifty-Nine

One moment they were in the middle of nothingness, the next they were in a cave. The barrier was gone, and so was Loki. Just like that. It was suddenly so quiet. Bucky heard the sound of his own breathing first, then the sounds coming from The Avengers. There was light coming from above, so they couldn't be that deep underground, but Bucky didn't have time to look around and take in their surroundings.

Doctor Strange, Wanda, Vision and Leah all crumbled at the same time, like puppets held up by the same string. Pietro caught his sister, while some of the other Avengers moved closer to Vision and Strange. Bucky just stared at the spot where Loki stood a moment ago. The marks from his metal arm were now gone, not even a flicker of light left. What the hell just happened?

'No, no, no!' Leah said angrily. Bucky turned towards her, a question already on the tip of his tongue... then the world turned yellow and he stood up and moved back... no his legs did, his legs moved. He didn't want to move, but his legs still kept walking away from the rest of the group... everything was going fuzzy, the edge of his vision turning black.

'Buck?' Steve called, reaching out towards him. 'Bucky!'

Loki said he was possessed. He had to fight this! He didn't want to black out again, he had to see... he had to know... He couldn't be some demon's puppet! There was a pull, an odd sensation that started in his stomach, then crawled up to his chest. His skin started hurting, he felt millions of pins and needles everywhere at once. He fought to stay awake, he fought so damn hard.

Then his legs gave out and the cold stone floor of the cave rushed towards him. He landed in an ungraceful heap, barely managing to put up his metal arm in time to avoid hitting his head. He could feel his fingers again, his limbs following his commands, but it hurt like a bitch. What did this demon bastard do to him?

There was something right above him, he realised. Something really warm and way too big. He could feel the presence, the warmth, the subtle movements. He felt a hot huff of air on the back of his sweaty neck and a deep grumbling sound. He scrambled to get away from the thing immediately, forcing his muscles to work. The movement turned his stomach and he had to focus really hard to not throw up right there and then.

Then Steve was there... and then Thor. Steve grabbed his arms and helped him get away from whatever was behind him, while Thor moved to cover his back.

'Unharmed, as promised,' said a growly voice. The words were off, like he spoke with a full mouth... or a mouth full of teeth that was not meant for human words.

Bucky finally managed to turn around and look at the thing. It was similar to a N'Garai, but at least twice as big, and its skin deep dark red instead of grey. The claws and the horns were identical, even the mouth full of teeth, as Bucky suspected, but this thing only had one giant yellow eye, instead of two red ones.

Kierrok. Loki said, he was possessed by Kierrok. Bucky knew that he was the Master of the N'Garai, but he didn't expect him to look almost exactly like those beasts. Thor looked ready to fight, but Kierrok held up his a clawed hands, as a sign of peace.

'Loki did what he promised,' Kierrok said. 'I am free... so I will keep my word as well. You will not see me again.'

'Your old Master... where is he?' Leah asked.

'I cannot tell,' Kierrok answered. 'If he lives, he is far away. The Other-Realm is gone, that much I know for certain. The demons that still lived perished with it, and I am glad for it.'