Chapter 5: What could possibly go wrong?

JOE

After, I heard that noise I ran out of my bed and into Eddie's room. And proceeded to wake him up. - I don't know how he slept through that-

"Eddie!!"

"Wha... Joe what are you doing awake at this hour?"

"I heard a horrible noise. It sounded like Titanic struck something."

"What are you talking about Joe? You probably had a nightmare. Do you want to climb in with me?"

I thought about it. I also thought about the noise it certainly was possible that I was just having a nightmare but at the same time  the noise was way to real to be a dream.  But before I could do anymore thinking Maddie burst in.

"Eddie darling did you hear that awful noise. I think Titanic has hit something."

"I heard it to." I butted in. Eddie then burst out of his bed  immediately getting dressed  in yesterday morning's clothes  and went out to investigate. Maddie took me into my room  and helped get me dressed by pulling yesterday morning's clothes over my night clothes and then went through to her room and threw her clothes on not even bothering to put on a corset knowing that if Titanic had hit something the crew members would be instructed to get all passengers second class included into the grand salon.

Once we were dressed me and Maddie went through to our living room and waited for Eddie to return with the news. When Eddie returned he looked like he'd seen a ghost.

"What's the matter Eddie?" I asked

"I'm sorry I doubted you Joe..."

"What do you mean Eddie?"

"You were right Titanic has struck an Iceberg on the starboard side."

"Good God."

"They want all 1st class passengers dressed in their pajamas or not. They want all of us to go to the Grand Salon."

******************

In the grand Salon we were all standing  and some of us including Molly Brown had lifebelts on. However, Maddie, I and Eddie weren't wearing one. Just then a 1st class steward by the name of George Harper appeared with two trolley's of Lifebelts for those who didn't have any.

"Tell me straight man! Are we in danger?" asked Mr. Thayer asked

"In danger. Mr. Thayer on this ship please!"

"then why are we  being instructed to put on lifebelts?" Asked Jack Thayer

"It's just a mere formality. There is no need for concern."

"What's the formality sonny?" Molly Brown asked

"I'll go find out Ma'am." But that understandably did not impress Mr. Astor. And after half an hour he could not contain himself anymore.

"You!"

"Yes sir?"

"What is the meaning of this? I demand to know exactly what's going on!"

"Well the latest word sir that I've got from the Captain is  that she has thrown one of her wing propellers and we could be delayed for an entire day sir!"

"That doesn't explain why we're all here in the middle of the night and about half of us in Lifebelts!!!" Eddie snapped . And no one was surprised that people were snapping we had been standing there for a half an hour and none of us knew what in God's name was going on.

"Oh Christ! Here's the second Class!!!!!!"  Mr. Harper exclaimed

"What an excellent conversation diversion." Eddie whispered to Maddie. That was when we heard a rather excited woman say to whom I assumed was her husband.