- four

⫷❍▨❍⫸

❝ listen! we're not just doing this for money!
we're doing it for a SH*T LOAD of money!

⫷❍▨❍⫸

The first place Richie went was the town center.

He needed a few things to put his plan into action, and one of those things was a winter jacket. Living in California was not an activity that required one of those, something he had forgotten to take into account before heading up to Maine in the dead of winter. His taxi stopped on the main street, right outside of Keene's Drugstore, and Richie eyed it with distaste and nostalgia as he got out of top his taxi and tugged his thin little jacket around himself tighter.

He almost passed the building by— but then he stopped in front of the glass doors and looked through the windows. He bit back a smile.

He stepped inside and straight into a memory.

⫷❍▨❍⫸

Derry, Summer of 1992

It was way too hot out for Richie's taste as he strolled into the air conditioned drugstore in the town's center. Eddie was a few paces ahead of him, am anxious bounce in his step— and Richie bit back a snarky comment at the way his best friend was walking, glancing around at the brightly lit aisles of the small general store.

Eddie walked past everything without even pausing to look. Richie wasn't as focused. He trailed behind, observing all of the different gum flavors, and chocolate brands until a thin but firm hand seized his wrist and dragged him up to the front counter. He stifled a laugh, stumbling along behind his friend and coming to a stop at the front of the store, shoving his hands into his pockets as Eddie had taught him to do when he wanted to keep himself from touching literally everything.

"Hello, Eddie," Mr. Keene greeted. "Are you here for your prescription?"

"Yes, please," Eddie said politely, casting a side long glance at Richie, who really was trying his best to behave— and the hyperactive boy didn't miss the upwards quirk in the corner of his partner's lips. Mr. Keene headed into the back of the pharmacy, muttering to himself, and Eddie turned to face Richie, smile growing.

"Am I doing good?" Richie asked very seriously. "I'm trying my best for you, Eds."

"I was going to say you could go buy us an ice cream while I wait," Eddie said, holding up a crumpled bill and wrinkling his nose. "But because you called me that I think I might have changed my mind."

"What?!" Richie gasped, hands clenching into fists within his pockets as his jaw went slack. "But I— Do you see how still I'm standing? Come on, Eddie, just let it slide this once— you don't even really hate it, anyway!"

"Fine!" Eddie relented, holding out the dollar. "But that doesn't mean I'm agreeing with the last part," he warned, raising his eyebrows. "I'm just 'letting it slide'."

"Sure, sure, whatever you say, Eds," Richie snickered, taking the cash and stepping out of reach as his friend's eyes flashed with annoyance— and perhaps a flicker of affection. Richie winked, enjoying the way Eddie's cheeks turned pink, and backed towards the exit, waving the dollar above his head. "I'll get us a vanilla— because we wouldn't want you to have an allergic reaction to the strawberries, would we?"