❄ Chapter 15 ❄

It's; splendid.

I don't remember so much arriving here, since I fell asleep from sheer exhaustion while travelling on Snow's back when he turned into his large wolf.

I thought we might end up in another den, a small cave, or perhaps make a camp by a river.

I only remember a slight jolt from being put to bed, and now, perhaps 12 hours later, I am staring out the window of the bedroom atop the second floor of a castle, nestled away between forested hills, near a creek.

It's enclosed, and the glass is centuries old, moss grows on the outside and the brass frames are all stained and scratched but beautiful. The green wallpaper, and the green bed, the green carpet... all a very splendid guest room.

How did I end up in such a splendid place?

I'm too afraid to look in a mirror, lest my face is gone. I'm too afraid to leave the room, lest it's a trick by the Queen. Perhaps she caught Snow, and this was all an elaborate game. Perhaps I had someone else's face. Perhaps... but no.

It was too splendid and peaceful to be a nightmare.

Unless I was dead, and this was peace forever after.

I'm sitting on a chair by a desk. I read through some books on Royal Ascension. The print date didn't exist. It was hand written and very old.

It's almost noon when I glance out the window to see some workers around the Castle. Those who maintained it. One is outside by the stables, near a few goats.

There.

I gulp when I see Snow leaning against a stable door, speaking to a stable-hand.

A small girl washes down a horse with a bucket, while Snow talks to her. This is definitely real as he wears his old leather pants and only a grey tunic.

I also spot a gardener pulling out weeds in a flower garden, and I see one woman walking back from the forest with a basket full of freshly hand picked strawberries.

Still, I wonder if this is pleasant trick, and if all this splendour is a lie.

I guess I need to explore to find out.

I open the drawers in the room and while some are empty, there is one full of shifts, and one wardrobe is full of sparkling red, blue and yellow dresses.

I close the door to that one pretty quickly, gulping, feeling rather overwhelmed.

Where the hell were we?

I had to wear something before I explored... so I open the door one more time and I flick through the dresses with a trembling hand.

I had never touched such fine and delicate dresses. I didn't want to dirty them so I rub as much dirt from my hand onto my old coat.

It almost never ends. I flick through every colour of the rainbow, and nothing really feels right until I settle my hand on a white dress at the very end, seemingly hidden.

I take it out and it's a fine white lace stitched into some kind of perfect white dress. Not a stain.

Who would wear such a dress? Wouldn't it get dirty?

I'm too curious. I had never seen a garment of such a brilliant white; ever.

I slyly put it on and I decide I shall just appreciate its beauty, and then I will choose another.

By the time it's settled in place, I glance in the mirror in the corner of the room and I'm a little shocked.

I'm only staring past an inch of the frame, peeking in the mirror... and now I take one side step in front of it and stare at myself properly.