❄ Chapter 21 ❄

Snow wanted to take me away from the Castle Retreat, so we rode out on horseback together that following morning. It was a little treat to find that his special enchanted place was around the bend from a prominent location.

Kingdom of Alma, a city of tradesman and craftsman. So; you'd expect it to be beautiful. On arrival, it's actually rather bland, overcrowded and constantly patrolled by the Queen's Enforcers of Law. It's not hard to find why the Kingdom is so rundown; Myrage was a terrible Queen and the taxes were far too high on the poor.

I'm currently sitting in an aristocratic lounge, one of the only well maintained buildings. Its purpose was to drink together with other well off individuals.

I didn't like it, but here I am.

There was a women's lounge and a men's lounge, totally separate.

Snow deposited me with the higher end women, while he went to speak and make a few connections... I assume... the thing is, he didn't really tell me much but he seemed rather smug about the whole thing.

I'm sitting still, very stiff, upon a couch, facing other women, who are all gossiping about me across the room.

I didn't know who any of them were, and they were too afraid to come near me and I was too afraid to go near them.

Eventually, one of them accidentally drops a brush, and another kicks it towards me.

Apparently it is a ploy to get my attention, as the brush ends up by my feet and they all turn to wait and see what I'll do.

I almost kick it back over, but instead, I smooth out the royal riding dress I wore today – which Snow chose for me. I pick up the brush elegantly and I stand up slowly, straightening my spine as I hold out the wooden tool.

A very intense silence falls upon the whole group as I offer it back without speaking.

One lady with beautiful butterfly trinkets in her hair, turns and takes the brush from me, noticing something about my hand.

"Where is your ring if you're married?" she asks, looking at me.

"Getting cleaned," I make it up, I don't know why they think I'm married, or if they know I came with Snow – or if they knew anything about anything.

But, I didn't exactly know anything either, so I pretend to know what I'm talking about. And now that they've heard me speak, the ice is broken.

"We've been discussing your dress, it's made by a designer long dead, it's worth... thousands... you realise?" one asks.

"Oh, yes," I nod, putting on a tone, high and petite.

"You must be a well kept secret, what is your husband's name?"

"My husband?" I whisper, "I'm actually betrothed," that was a good diversion, I think.

"And what is your name?" another asks.

"Ellie, what is your name -?" I almost stutter when I see the giant looming in the connecting doorway. My eyes glance over and I see Snow watching me, smiling at me.

Snow takes over, "Ellie is from nothing, her name isn't known, and she was almost akin to a slave when I wooed her," Snow rumbles out – and the women instantly take a few steps back from me as if I must be diseased. Snow waits for my glare and he winks at me for it, "I've made her a princess... haven't I, Ellie? Spoilt rotten," liar.

"Deluded people nowadays," one aristocrat whispers under her breath, "And who are you?"

"I don't suppose you've heard of the Monterrey bloodline?" Snow asks, now gliding in, which is forbidden. He causes the female group to take another step back, "Well?"