Ten: Another Curve Ball

"You know exactly who I am right? You probably brought me here for a reason. Am I wrong?" I ask Susan, aka Ms. Smith.

"I'm not who brought you here. I do know who you are, you are my son's biological sister. He doesn't know anything about you. It's too late for you to be in his life now. Ava is his sister, and I am his mother. It's not my fault your parents left him defenseless. My question is what do you want from this?" She asks. She's different from two minutes ago. She's cold and intimidating.

"I want my brother, I just want to get to know him. He's the last chance I have to have a family" I tell her.

"He has a family. I want you to stay away from him and Ava. I don't want them associating with you. You'll only cause my family pain" she says looking at me angrily but with begging eyes.

"Like your family isn't causing me pain, I don't want any trouble. All I want is my brother. I would rather you take him in then him have to live the life I have. Can you please understand that I have lost a lot of people, my brother is all I have. I'm not trying to take him away. I just want an opportunity to be in his life" I tell her. I don't want to be a threat. I just want my brother.

"No Nadia, I don't want you near my son. He's a good boy, innocent. He deserves to stay that way. He's mine now, he doesn't belong to you. I am the principle here and if you don't listen to me, I'll have to send you back" she tells me.

"Why are you being so unfair with me? I lost everything. You have your family, why won't you let me have the only one I have left?" I ask tears pouring out.

"Because he doesn't deserve more trauma in his life. Just stay away from him and the rest of my family" she says. She doesn't even soften at the sight of my pain. I take a deep breath and walk out while wiping my tears away.

When I get to the halls there empty. Everyone's in class. I want to scream but that won't help. My heart feels stepped on. I can't ever seem to catch a break, all I'm ever offered is pain. How much more while I have to endure? My whole life?

"What's wrong Nadia?" Gio asks. I don't even have to see his face to know. I instantly wrap my arms around his neck.

"Just hold me" I tell him. His arms wrap around my torso protectively. His embrace is warm and welcoming. I feel calm.

"I'm here for you" he says. I look up at him with red puffy eyes and a stuffy nose.

"Why?" I whisper. I don't have the energy to keep my guard up. He sees that the second my eyes hide away.

"Because you're special to me, some how you capture all my attention. Since the day I met you, I couldn't keep my eyes off you. When you look over at me like I'm weird for staring. I can't help it. Everytime I'm near you I just want you to smile. I want to see you happy" he says. I shake my head and look down. His hand props my chin up.

"I don't want to be here anymore. I want to go back home" I tell him. I move a little so I have space and begin to walk. He follows along my side.

"I'm sorry life hasn't been the easiest, but you do have people looking out for you Nadia. Bryan talked to me the other day, more like threatened but that's not the point. He was there to protect you. Vivian looks up to you and follows you blind. Ruben is good his intentions are always pure. You all are loyal to each other. I see the way you all protect one another. I saw it when Ava tripped Vivian. You literally went for her throat. She had never gotten to you like when she touched Vivian. You didn't care that she bullied you, but when she did it to Vivian you lost it. It shows the type of person you are. I like the way you look after your own. I wish I had more people like you surrounding me" Gio says as we arrive to my dorm. I open the door and we stand by the frame.

"They are the only people that come close to being family. We all grew up in similar situations and were able to stay alive. I hate talking about my misfortunes but that's all I seem to talk about these days. I want to forget about that and feel free from those sorrows" I tell him. He nods and I slightly smile looking into his light eyes.

"You will, you just need to give it time and learn to move forward. You are strong, intelligent, and beautiful Nadia. I've never met someone quite like you. I just wan the best for you" he says. He hold onto my waist. His eyes seem to admire mine and i feel nervous.

He catches me by surprise when his lips connect with mine. His hands grip my waist while my arms hang lose on top of his shoulders. His mouth travel down my neck sucking on the delicate skin. I already know he's leaving a mark. I find his mouth with my lips and he smiles. My mouth moves to his neck and I begin to suck on his skin. I begin to lightly use my teeth and he moans.