Twenty Five: Bonded By Life

"Bryan!" I yell out when I see him at the airport. I jump on him and hug him. He holds me tightly in his arms.

"I missed you Nadia" he says into my ear.

"I missed you too" I tell him. He doesn't let go. I enjoy the way he holds me. He's never really been affectionate.

"That's enough" Miguel jokes looking at Bryan.

"It's nice to see you sir" Bryan says extending his hand.

"It's nice to see you as well mijo" Miguel says taking Bryan's hand and giving it a firm shake. We go to where our luggage is located and take it off the machine.

"Are you heading to the dorms?" Bryan asks me. He takes the luggage from my hand.

"Yeah, Ruben says he needs to show me something important" I tell him. His face immediately drops all emotions. I look over at Miguel and see he noticed what I did.

"Is everything okay?" Miguel asks. Bryan nods but doesn't utter a word.

"Do you know what he has to show me?" I ask Bryan stopping him. He avoided my eyes and I force him to look at me.

"He's just delusional" he states.

"I'm sure he is" I reply and continue to walk.

•••
"Can I take you all out to eat around seven thirty?" Miguel asks. He leaves my bag on the floor.

"That would be great" Vivian answers.

"I would love some burgers" Ruben says and Vivian rolls her eyes.

"Okay then, I'll call Nadia when I arrive" Miguel says and we all nod. He says his fair wells and heads out. I practically jump on Vivian and Ruben as I hug them.

"I missed you both so much" I tell them.

"I missed you a lot Nadia" Vivian says with a smile.

"I'm glad you left, I'm excited for my gift" Ruben says and I laugh.

"It's in the bag weirdo" I tell him and he dives for my bad. He rummages through it taking the chocolate from it.

"Can I know what it is that you need to show me?" I ask Ruben. Vivian takes a seat next to me on the bed.

"We found something, and we don't want to make you panic. We just really thought you should see what we did" Vivian says. I nod quickly getting nervous wondering what it could be.

"Here" Ruben says handing me the phone. Bryan leaves the room quickly. I turn my attention to the phone and press play. The video Ruben toke from our first night out plays. My eyes are quickly drawn to a woman starring at us. I play it back and pause it. I zoom into her face, my heart drops as I stare at the phone.

"That's my mom, right?" I ask in disbelief. Vivian takes my hand in hers.

"We believe so" Vivian responds. I stand up and take deep breath in trying to wrap my head around this.

"How? How is this even possible?" I ask as if they had the answers I need.

"She might have had people working on the inside. I think she might have faked her death" Ruben says. Vivian stands up next to him with a smile.

"I think my mom is with her, our moms are alive" Vivian says with a smile. If this is true, it's been years since her freedom. Why haven't the contacted us? after all these years.

"It's been years Vivian, they don't care about us. They should have reached out the moment they were free" I tell her furious at the information I'm Neely starting to comprehend.

"It wasn't safe, they had to lay low. Maybe they moved out here to gain a better chance of staying free" Vivian says full of hope. She's making up fantasies in her head.

"Yeah, well good luck contacting them. If they really wanted us back they would have put more effort into it. Did you suddenly forget the years of abuse? If this is true, they've been free for more than enough time to seek us out. They've had enough time to settle down and gain us back" I tell Vivian. Her eyes get glossy, she stares at my with anger.

"I didn't forget, all those traumas have been embedded deep in me" She takes a step closer to me. "I don't have a rich daddy to come save me. I'm sorry if the only hope I have to grasp the little happiness I may have left, isn't good enough for you. I understand more than anyone what it's like to lose everything Nadia, but damn aren't you a selfish brat. You've had both your parents fill you with love, then you come to find out you have another loving dad. The most popular guy in school wanted you! You have an endless amount of support. I've had nothing! Why don't you ever stop to think about someone other than you?" She asks. Tears pour out of her eyes with every blink. I cut eye contact bow my head out of shame.

"You're right I'm sorry" I apologize. Ruben holds her hand and she looks down at it.

"I know this is between you two, but I think you both are right here" Ruben says. "Vivian you're right, Nadia should have more compassion for you. I mean you are always there and never fail her. It's about time you get a chance to feel heard. I mean you're a great friend, you deserve more. You just like her go through your battles daily. Nadia just think twice, think about Vivian a little more. Ask her about her day. Make sure she already ate. Instead of doing homework alone, ask her to study with you. Jump in bed with her and watch a movie, she loves doing that. The little things matter" Ruben tells us. I feel like someone's tugging at my heart.

I nod letting him now that I'm listening. Vivian doesn't look at me though. I understand, but it makes me feel like shit.

"Now you Nadia, you are right in the way you are acting because it's who you were trained to be. I saw the way you were trained, you were pushed beyond the limits. I know you thought it was you asking for it, but it's who you felt that you had to be. Your dad always pushed it on you, that you would be the next boss. You saw how weak your brother was, and decided to let him have his childhood. You knew it had to be one of you, and you sacrificed your childhood for his. Then when we were taken, you lost him. The person you fought so hard for, gone just like that and it was out of your control. You coped with it by building up walls. You had to fight for yourself now instead of for him. It's hard to unlearn what's been a lifestyle for so long. It's not that she's selfish, it's that she doesn't know how to care for people she's never had. That's doesn't mean you've had people, but it comes naturally to you Vivian. You're a genuinely caring person" Ruben finishes by looking at Vivian. I wipe my tears but start to sob. Everything he just said hit me hard. I've never thought about it.

"I'm sorry Nadia, it's just that I look up to you. And sometimes I feel like my feelings aren't being reciprocated" Vivian says taking my hands into hers.

"I know we aren't blood, but you're my sister Vivian. I'm sorry for making you feel like less than" I tell her. She takes me into her arms and we sob on each others shoulders.

"Everything will be better now" she says and I agree with her.

"This is thanks to you" I tell Ruben pulling him into the hug.

"We might not be bonded by blood, but we're bonded by life which is stronger" Ruben says holding us tight.