Chapter 1: Classroom Dynamics

"You'd think the deformation of your face would say that you don't like me," said Steve Brown, grinning his cursed grin. It had been a perfectly fine evening.

"I'm getting the feeling the reason I've had to change school is something you know about."

I grip the freshly cleaned door, wondering if I should slam it in his face. But he is leaning on the door frame. Tch.

"Fine! Come in. Just tell me what kind of trouble you brought this time."

I go to the kitchen and make tea for us both. Something thuds on the table. Looking over the kitchen bench, I see a folder.

"Why should it be trouble?"

"Why aren't I a full-fledged teacher? And just an aid?"

"It wouldn't have anything to do with you setting fire to the gym?"

I roll my eyes. Those events weren't related.

"They were well aware of my experiments."

"They didn't expect you to raise the temperature of the air high enough to spontaneously combust the stage curtains."

"They agreed they'd needed to be replaced years ago."

I couldn't care less for his response as I navigated the moving boxes filling the lounge room floor. Don't spill the tea.

Good, I got them to the coffee table. He wiped the side before taking a sip.

He sits so casually on the couch, you'd think he lives here. I guess that's childhood friends for you. Whatever. I gave myself the better teacup.

As I looked in the folder on the table, I saw a class roster. Not one of the classes I was assigned to as an aid, either.

I put my teacup down as I saw my name in the teacher's spot. I snatched it up, glancing at Steve,

"Your doing?"

"You've always wanted a... lively... classroom." He sipped the tea, looking away.

I scanned the basic information beside each precious student's face. Ah...

"Are they the candidates for the Inter-Racial Research Team?"

Steve nodded.

"See, you are the one bringing trouble."

It was more than the fact that he was the "Human Hero" tasked to foster peace between races. He was also nosy. Especially in my business!

He shrugged,

"Would anyone else be able to handle it?"

"I haven't taught a class yet."

"But you have been around the continent and met various people from every race."

"Yeah, and whose idea was that?"

Wait. Hold up. I narrowed my eyes. He's caught me in his trap from a while ago...

I bit my lip.

"Drat... I'm not going to give them special treatment."

"Details are in the folder. I'll make sure they all arrive in your classroom in three days." He gave me a warm, genuine smile. I shivered.

Nodding, I rounded him up and pushed him out the door, grabbing his cup on the way.

"I've an introduction to prepare. Don't let me see you again!"

I caught an "Always the charmer," as the door closed.

How many protective barriers will I need to prepare?