SS6&7: Dark Side of Politics

Side Story 6: Dumping in the Forest

26th Cycle. Year 50 of the Nymphs. Toilmonth the 18th.

William had stayed within the Fairy Density his whole life. It wasn't that he couldn't leave, he just had no reason to do so. His family lived in the greenery around him, so close they all encroached on each other. But that was just how they were. All he needed was provided by his home tree, his source, his bush. The Creator had made it so. His Great Aunt had woven the story into her trees branches for all to see. Thankfully, her tree was close by so he didn't have to leave the Density.

Most fairies stayed where their magic was strongest - their source tree. Except for Uncle Chad. He'd been strange ever since he was born. Everyone told him that. And when his source tree came by to meet William, he could see why. His source tree was a dryad! Apparently possible. And they even had a child together. Apparently possible. William would just shake his head in wonder as his family flittered about in confusion over Chad.

But even Chad couldn't invigorate a sense of travel for William. No, William was in all, an average fairy until he met Charlise.

A loud thump was heard behind his source tree. Some beast-kin had dumped a black bag onto the ground. William watched them, signalling his father to watch too. Every few days for the last month, a new body had been buried nearby.

The beast kin shared the same beast traits - as William had watched them he figured out that they were a family of snake type beast-kin. Listening to their conversations he found out that the five siblings were assassins. William nodded when he found this out - the bodies made sense. His father had nodded at the same time - them being able to get so close to the Densitiy of the fairies made sense.

Today, the youngest sibling, Charlise, was having a fight with her twin brothers. They were the best with blades, as well as blending in deviously well with others. She had not yet discovered what her 'special trait' was, but Charlise did not want to kill for a living. And they argued it was impossible for her not to.

Charlise hissed at them and staunched of to William's bush - not noticing the small creatures watching her. Only when she was within a half metre of distance did she notice William, stopping herself from crashing through his bush.

She calmed herself and bowed lightly,

"I'm sorry for intruding. I hope you don't mind the fertiliser we brought."

William signalled that it was fine, and asked how she was.

Charlise stood still, waiting for a response.

William signalled again.

Then an arm on each side wrapped around Charlise's shoulders.

"Don't run off, Char-char." One of her brothers drawled as the other nodded,

"That's right. You don't know who else could be around in this area."

Charlise pointed to William,

"Like a fairy?"

The brothers looked to William, back to Charlise then glued their eyes to William.

"A fairy! I haven't seen one in years!"

They hustled and tousled around William, not hearing his pleas for escape.

Even his parents signalled for them to stop.

As Charlise face-palmed at her brothers over eagerness a small voice cried out,