Kicked To The Curb

Evie watched the scene from above. She watched as her mother screamed at her as if she was an embarrassment to the human race. Then she saw a finger point to the door that reeled her back into her own body, a body the was wrong in every sense of the word.

"I want you out of my house, Evelyn. Pack your things and go!" Her mother yelled, her hand still gesturing to the door.

"... it-it's Adam, Mom, not Evelyn."

"No! You're my daughter. You're Evelyn! You're a thirteen year old girl, and until you figure that out, you are no child of mine!"

With that Evie- no, Adam- walked silently upstairs. He hadn't expected this. He hadn't expected any of this. In his head it went well. His mom accepted him and went out to buy new clothes and brought him to a therapist who would be able to help him start his medical transition. Instead, he was choking back tears as he threw his least feminine clothing and toiletries into his backpack.

"She was supposed to love me threw this, not kick me to the curb." Adam cried quietly, "She was supposed to be my mom, not the woman who bore me. I shouldn't have done anything. I shouldn't have told her a damn thing." He zipped his backpack after adding any snacks he had stored in his room and his phone charger.

With one last scan of his room, Adam slowly walked back downstairs, kicking his feet as he went. He couldn't believe that he was actually being kicked out. He sighed as he looked at pictures hung on the stairwell. There was a little Evie playing on a swing, and an old yearbook photo. Too many to count, but in all of them Adam knew that the smile was fake. He had never been happy in the dresses his mother made him wear or the bows that had been unwillingly tied in his long, dark hair. All of it had felt wrong, even back then.

At the bottom of the steps, his mother was waiting, a stern and almost angry look on her face. "Good, you're finished. Now get out!" A violent gesture point to the door was all it took, as Adam left the house he would never call his home again.