Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"Liz, Elizabeth," Alexander repeatedly cooed in attempts of waking me.

"Mhm..." I mumbled.

"Time for work, love." He whispered.

I nodded, and sat up, stretching my arms. I smiled when I saw Alexander the minute I opened my eyes.

"Hi,"

"Hi beautiful," He said.

I walked in the room to change into some clothes for work. I put on a dress that was light blue, and grabbed my apron to put over it. It was plain and casual so that if I got messy while baking it wouldn't ruin anything too great. Alexander was wearing casual clothing as well, so that if he spilled anything he wouldn't ruin his clothes either.

"Ready to go?" He asked.

I nodded, "Yes."

He grabbed my hand and lead me out the door and we walked to the bakeshop.

Our second day of work.

We came through the unlocked doors and we were immediately greeted by George.

"Good morning! Good morning!" He said.

"Good morning," Alexander and I said in sync.

"How did you sleep?" He asked.

Not well, I thought. But instead I said, "Fine."

"Good, good. So, I need you to make biscuits," He pointed to me. "And I need you to make loaves of bread." He pointed to Alexander.

We both nodded and went in the back to do what he asked. He was a good boss, he wasn't too strict, wasn't too lazy. He knew how to get things done the right way and was never mean about giving orders. He was a kind old man that Alexander and I felt lucky to have met.

Biscuits are easy to make, I thought as I made the dough and was already shaping them into circles. They weren't as challenging as making the loaves of bread.

I loved working at the bakery because Alexander and I had the job together. We never had to go to separate jobs, he didn't force me into being a housewife and keep me at home while he worked. Never. He wanted me to work just like him, because he knew that's what I wanted. I loved that he was able to allow me to be me, when everyone else tried to force me to be someone that I wasn't.

The biscuits were fun to make when I got the hang of it, and they tasted amazing. I never knew I could bake until Alexander and I had taken the job.

I began to wonder what my father would think of me being a working, engaged, independent, young woman. He probably never thought I'd be able to do those things on my own. But obviously I could. Not only did I have a job, but I knew what I was doing and I was not bad at my job. Plus, I didn't need him to do all of those things. I wondered if it'd make him mad that I was happy and successful with no help from him at all. It probably would. But the thought brought me pleasure. He was a bad person, and if he knew how happy I was without the slightest bit of assistance from him he'd probably be extremely disappointed in himself for not doing better. Maybe not, though. Maybe he'd think I was doing a bad job and would always say that there was something "better" for me. But I didn't think that there was necessarily a good or a bad, or a right or a wrong. But that's how my father was and always would be.

"Liz," Alexander said from across the kitchen.

"Yes," I responded.

"Would you like to go to dinner tonight?" He asked.

I smiled toothlessly and nodded, "It sounds great."

He smiled back, and we went back to work.

Although I loved working it did get tiring. It required some hard work to roll out the dough, mix batter for who knows how long. But it was what I wanted. And I was grateful for the hard work because if I wasn't doing this, I'd be in a castle searching for something to do.

As we continued making everything we needed to, George ended up allowing us to leave work early.

"No we can't," Alexander said, trying to say that we could stay and work a little longer.

"I insist, you go somewhere. Have a good time." He told us.

He eventually convinced us, despite our objections. As much as we loved being together, we felt bad about leaving early on our second day. But apparently we did so good he didn't need us anymore that day.

"So where is it that we're going to eat?" I asked.

"It's a small little restaurant, inside the inn we are staying at. It has very good food. I think you'll enjoy it." Alexander told me.

"I think so too." I agreed, as we walked to our temporary home.

We walked inside and Alexander led me to the restauraunt. We sat down where there was a table available. We ordered red wine to drink. I had had red wine before, but never as much as I got that night. It was good, silky and smooth with a strong grape flavor. It was slightly sweet too, I could've had more but I didn't want to feel sick afterwards. Alexander ordered pork and I ordered chicken and we shared each other's meals since they were both so good. He was right when he said I would like it.

The whole dinner we talked about the things we had been doing lately. He had told me how much he also liked our job and George. He also said how excited he was to marry me in just six days. I realized that I needed a dress.

"That reminds me, I need a dress." I said, and smiled. I wanted to find something beautiful for him.

"You should go shopping tomorrow, I'm sure George will be fine with it if I bake whatever he wanted you to bake." Alexander suggested.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Of course, I know you're going to want a beautiful dress to match the rest of your beauty." He said, and I smiled a little as my cheeks turned pink. "We should also ask George about wedding cakes."

"Yes, we should." I agreed.

"So tomorrow will certainly be busy." Alexander said, and I nodded.

I was excited about the following day until I remembered that this would be the first time I'd be buying a dress without my mother. Not only was it a dress, but the most important dress I'd ever wear in my life and she wouldn't be there. I shrugged it off right then and there, not ready for another break down like the previous night's.

I was happy, and even though there would be a few untraditional things I'd face while in the process of my wedding, I knew I was better off that way.

The only hard part about my leaving and getting married with no assistance nor support from either one of my parents was all the traditions I was breaking. All the things I thought about as a little girl when it came to getting married wouldn't come true. My father wouldn't walk me down the isle. My mother wouldn't lend me her dress or help me find a new one. They wouldn't bless the marriage. But I had to remind myself that the most important factor was there. The groom. Alexander. He was worth every little thing that I was giving up.

I made myself feel slightly guilty that I had kept thinking of myself and what I wouldn't have when all I wanted and needed was right there in front if me. I was going to marry the man I loved and that's all I should've been thinking about. But I couldn't stop my mind from drifting to other places.

It was hard in the moment, telling myself that if I wanted to be with Alexander, if I wanted the lifestyle that I craved, I'd never be able to see my parents after that. I knew that they were bad people. I knew that I deserved better. But thinking of leaving your parents, reguardless of what they have done to you, it's not the best felling. And it effected me for quite some time.