Chapter 2

Later that morning, in the conservatory, Soobin was snipping the blossoms of his roses, wearing his gardening gloves, while Yeonjun sat at a table, playing chess with Thing.

"It's a milestone, Bin" Yeonjun said "This very evening, our twenty-fifth seance. All those years gnawed by guilt, undone by woe, burning with uncertainty..."

"Oh Yeonjun, don't torture yourself" yearned Soobin "That's my job"

"Bin..." Yeonjun mumbled lustfully

"Imagine, Darling, if Taehyung did come back. Half-alive, barely human, a rotting shell..." Soobin described while cutting another rose

"Don't tease" Yeonjun warned him, making his lover raise an eyebrow at him with a small smile.

Just outside the Addams' grounds at the same time, Lee Taemin, the family attorney, and his husband, Jimin, approached "Gate", a wrought-iron monstrosity that opened of its own accord.

Though Taemin came to the house often and Jimin had been there before, they never ceased to be startled by "Gate". Jimin passed through "Gate" first, and as Taemin passed through, "Gate" slammed on him, clipping him and catching the end of his coat.

"Let me go!" Taemin shouted, fighting "Gate" for his coat.

Ignoring him, Jimin continued stiffly up the walk.

"Gimme that! Stop it! I'm warning you! It's not a good day!" Taemin kept on shouting.

In the conservatory, Yeonjun moved a chess piece. Thing gestured out the window, so Yeonjun and Soobin looked outside, and as they did, Thing moved two chess pieces, cheating.

"Taemin is here, darling" Soobin informed his husband

"Ha!" Yeonjun exclaimed "That Taemin"

"Romping with Gate" Soobin added

"Check" Yeonjun said moving a piece.

Thing moved another piece and gestured in triumph.

"Checkmate" said Soobin impressed

"Taemin! Can't you keep up?" Jimin called for his husband annoyed

"I'm trying..." Taemin said before ripping his coat to get it away from "Gate"

"These are your last paying clients, may I remind you!" Jimin told him upset

"If it gives you pleasure..." Taemin mumbled as he walked

"Something has to.  Like a decent coat, something dressy, for evening. Ask for a loan.  Beg" Jimin tried to convince him

"No loans!" Taemin replied "I'm not a bum" he added, lifting his hand up before Jimin could say anything "Don't say it.  I'll get the money, I've got a plan"

"This is all so humiliating.  Why did I marry you?" Jimin asked more annoyed

"Because I said yes" Taemin deadpanned.

Jimin marched on toward the front door, skirting the fog machine as if it had every reason to be there. It hissed at Taemin as he passed, splattering his trousers with fog. Taemin handed his hat to Yoongi and marched off toward Yeonjun's study.

Finding himself alone with Yoongi, Jimin was more nervous and intimidated than he would ever admit.

"I'm here to see Mr. Addams, about the charity auction" He informed the butler

Growling, Yoongi headed for the stairs, and screwing up his courage, Jimin resolutely followed.

As Taemin walked through the Addams family portrait gallery, he stalked glumly along the hall and past the family portraits, generations of Addams grotesqued in elaborate gilt frames heading toward the imposing doors of Yeonjun's study.