Chapter Three

~* Tasha *~

I sat outside, alone on the porch. I enjoyed the quietness of the night. I did miss the stars though. They had always made me feel more connected to the home I had to leave behind. This was usually the best time to have a conversation that was meant for my ears alone too though. The humans had this theory that if they couldn’t hear the other half of the conversation you were crazy rather than the answers weren’t any of their business.

It was one reminder of many of how different the humans were. There was so much too there was no way we could have been prepared for before coming. Things that our people couldn’t have imagined, let alone have been prepared for. Only those of us who traveled between the worlds to save the humans from both themselves and dangers they couldn’t imagine truly understood. Though, the human world had changed so much since we had last come.

The last time I was here, we only had to save humankind from themselves. There was a terrible war between many of their nations. We nearly failed then. I was worried about this trip. Saving them when the only threat was themselves was hard enough. That was why we had to endure such hard training this time before coming.

“My human is asleep, Mother,” I said, waiting to see if her and I were going to have one of our somewhat often chats. We usually didn’t unless I sought out for her.

“Do you two get along now?” She asked.

“About that…She still isn’t aware of me,” I confessed to Mother. I knew she wouldn’t be pleased, but I also figured she already knew. There was no sense in lying to her.

“You are aware she needs to, aren’t you?”

“I don’t understand why, Mother!” I whined at her, though I quickly stopped. I knew she wasn’t one to take it. “Sorry. I don’t though.”

“We have already had this conversation dear, so I know that isn’t what sparked this chat.”

“No, it isn’t.”

“So what is on your mind, Dearest Daughter?”

“It’s nearly time,” I told her. The humans had a much difference measure of time. Theirs was much more concrete, and they were well adjusted to the fact that their lifespans were shorter. Relative measures of time always took place a lot sooner than if one of us had said it.

“What exactly is it nearly time for?”

“Things are falling into place rather nicely,” I told her, smiling.

“Isn’t it usually my job to be the cryptic one?” Despite not being able to actually see her, it was almost though I could hear the smile in her voice. I couldn’t deny it; I missed home. I missed her. I missed the others and hadn’t been able to find them yet. Soon though, soon.

“I suppose Mother. The others. I should be finding them rather soon.”

“Is that a guess?” She asked, her tone more or less confirming I was right.

It hadn’t been a guess but confirmation is still always nice. I shook my head, unaware if she was able to see or not. I knew I couldn’t see her, but she was Mother. Mother didn’t get to be her age and our Mother for nothing, and her powers would always be more developed than my own; both because of our difference in tribe and the fact that she was just a rarity. The humans regarded her as a god for a reason, when normally they simply remain ignorant to us all.

“No. I was letting you know. Have you heard from the others? Is there any news of our mission?”

“You know I keep my conversations between my Children private.” Her tone was lecturing but her and I both knew it wouldn’t be the last time she would need to remind me of that.

“I do know. But I just wanted to know, if they were ok. And if there was any news about our mission that was of importance.”

Not being able to see her didn’t stop me from knowing the woman nodded her head in understanding but my ponderings would remain unanswered for the time being. “Nothing of interest, let alone importance to tell you, Natasha.”

“What about my twin at home. Is he well?” I knew Mother would know that question wasn’t really on my mind after being gone for so little. I had no reason to worry yet.

“Of course he is. You haven’t been gone long enough at all for anything to have happened here to any of us.”

“That’s good. I’m glad you’re all well,” I said, unable to hide the disappointment from my voice.

“You’re really wondering about where Raine wound up and how he is doing, aren’t you?”

“Of course I am. But I know you won’t tell me.” I said, having the feeling of another understanding nod from the far away woman. I don’t know how to explain how I knew; I just did.

“You are correct.”

“Good night, Mother.” I said in defeat.

“Take care of yourself and be careful Natasha.”

“Always, Mother.”