Chapter Twenty

~* Tasha *~

I left the room after the antics with the phone. It was nice being somewhere no one knew where we were. It was safer. I didn’t have to be glued to her. Though that idea had come back to bite me too. That reminded me; now that she was starting to be ok, there was no way I was letting him get away with what he had done. Willow had mentioned it too, but I actually knew where he was and was serious about it.

“Hello Danny Boy,” I said creeping out from a shadow, my bow already drawn on him.

“Nothing happened,” he lied.

“Oh but it did. Why don’t we take a little walk?”

“Fine. Fine,” he gave in, glancing nervously at the house his new little family his family was safely inside.
He certainly didn’t look very happy to see me as I led him further away from his new girl’s house to the middle of no where basically. He kept looking over at me nervously and I never once relaxed my bow. I knew he was thinking of making a run for it. He was fast, it would have been a problem if my weapon of choice was anything other than a bow. He couldn’t outrun anything that shot though.

“Don’t be an idiot. I like to hunt,” I warned him. “Do you know what I like about a bow though? You can’t match an arrow back to its bow the way you can with a bullet and a gun. You can only get a partial print off an arrow, if you even get that much. And arrows a lot of times can be retrieved and reused. I don’t need to coat my arrows in poison; you could pick up something from my last target even directly into your bloodstream. Isn’t that fascinating?”

One of the few things I liked about Dan was he always kept things short and to the point with me. He was trying to hide his emotions, like he usually did, still completely unaware at exactly how bad he was at it. “What do you want? Just do whatever it is you’re going to do.”

“Gladly,” my face curled into a cruel smile as I looked around. We had ended up much further into the woods than I had planned. It was even better than what I had hoped for before he had lost his patience with me. As quickly as he had spoken, I drew the arrow back and released it. I didn’t even have to look to know I had hit him exactly where I had wanted; his heart.

He fell silently to the ground, I had been expecting him to yell and cry like a child. At least he was able to do that right. I searched his pockets for his phone; I knew he didn’t go anywhere without it. None of these silly younger humans did but he was particularly bad about it. Kayden was at least able to leave hers in another room and not freak out about it. Careful not to touch it with my bare skin, I broke the phone before placing it back underneath him.

I pulled my arrow out of his still body, it breaking as I pulled. He groaned when the arrow was pulled and broke, but I ignored him. “Well this one isn’t reusable. Pity.”

I returned it anyway to the quiver I always kept with me, it wouldn’t look any more out of place than any other time I carried the quiver or bow with me. Quietly I headed back home, arriving there as the sun began to peek its way through the trees. No one would be up this early, and even if they were going to be soon they would merely find me on the back porch watching the sun come up.

I broke the arrow more, putting it into our trash can as I passed it on my way to the back yard. I sat on the ground despite the chairs on the porch I could have used. I leaned against the house, bending one knee to use as an arm rest the other stretched out comfortably in front of me. I would never understand how the humans enjoyed spending so much of their time inside instead of out here with nature.

“Sorry Mother,” I whispered quietly in so that no one would hear if they were up early.

Some time later, the back door opened. I could hear that it was Kaye without even looking and before she had even spoken. “Do you even sleep?”

I chuckled at the question. It seemed so innocent, “No, I do I just don’t need it as often as you humans do. Time works differently here than where I’m from. We sleep every night there, but it’s a longer frame of time than it is for you.”

“I see,” she pretended, sitting down next to me. She watched the rest of the sunrise with me before standing up again. She really hadn’t been there for that much of it. “Breakfast? I’m pretty excited about the new cereals we grabbed at the store.

“Sure,” I said, amused and relieved to see her able to be happy again about something so minor. She had been learning and growing so much lately into who I knew she was meant to be.