8 - Carbonara

The sun was just beginning to set by the time we got to the restaurant. It's part of a chain, so not super fancy but Harry and I both took this as an opportunity to dress up nevertheless.

I'm sporting a long sleeved deep-violet dress that ends just above my knees. I curled my hair and applied makeup, making my grey eyes shine.

Harry opted for a long sleeved white shirt with a simple floral tie. I wasn't loving the tie when he first put it on, but it definitely suits him.

We walk beside each other, hand in hand. I take the opportunity to look at him--really, actually look at him.

God, he's so gorgeous.

His brown curls have bits of bronze in them from being out in the intense sun so much. I'm still not quite used to his hair stopping short of his shirt collar, but it definitely makes him look older--more refined. Not that the long hair made him look like a slob or anything; I think he pulled off a man bun quite nicely.

Harry's hand slips out of mine so he can pull open the heavy glass door. We walk inside and my stomach immediately flips from the aromatic atmosphere.

I smell garlic, pasta, cheese, tomato sauce, and everything I love to smell when I'm hungry.

"Two please." Harry tells the host. Within ten minutes, we're sat at a small round table near the back of the restaurant. My violet dress stands out against the crisp white tablecloth. The lights are kept low in the dining area, candles flickering between guests.

Harry folds his hands in front of him on the table, elbows resting on the edge.

I begin the conversation with, "So the place you visited this morning with Ash? Is it a thing?"

Harry's mouth quirks up on one end, "Yes. It's a thing."

"When will it be more of a thing?"

"It'll be more of a thing after we're done at the club in Scottsdale. Only have one more show there in our deal." Harry adds.

"45th street, right?"

"Yeah."

"Is that the place with Mac N' Cheese egg rolls?"

Harry looks confused and disgusted all at once, "Erm, I'm not sure..."

"I think it is. I like that place." I say, picking up a breadstick from the basket when the waiter brings it to our table.

We order our drinks and eventually our food. It's been a while since Harry and I have gone out like this. We've both been so busy.

"I printed out my class schedule for the fridge, just so we always remember." I say, taking another bite of my breadstick.

"We meaning me." Harry chuckles. I watch his delicate fingers select a breadstick and hold it gently in front of his mouth, "Were you upset I left before you this morning?"

Yeah, you could say that.

"I guess." I shrug nonchalantly, feeling my cheeks beginning to turn pink.

"I felt awful, but Ash was going to leave without me and I need to be more involved in the band." He scratches the side of his face with his clean hand.

"It's fine." I say, "I'm glad we're having dinner."

"Me too."

The food arrives just then, successfully changing the subject. I slurp up my delicious carbonara noodles, occasionally worrying Harry will think I'm a slob. Whenever I think this, I just glance up at Harry, who is devouring his chicken parmesan like his life depends on it and immediately feel better about myself.

We slow down eventually with full bellies.

"Uh oh." I mutter to myself, "I think I'm going to have another food baby." I look up at Harry with mock-astonishment and watch a slow smile form on his lips.

"Alright, but is this one at least mine?"

"It's none of your business." I grin.

---

The ride back to our home was quiet. We listened to the radio and occasionally hummed along. It's nearly ten o'clock when we pull into the driveway. 

"I'm going to shower, maybe we can watch a movie or something afterwards?"

"Woman, I am so full. I reckon I'll be passed out by the time you're done." I slaps his stomach to emphasize his point.

"Okay, I'll watch a movie or something afterwards and you can nap on my lap."

I shower quickly, but still taking time to properly wash the makeup off my face. With the heat and how much I sweat now, I've been fighting a daily battle with acne. I haven't had a pimple since I turned twenty, probably, but now it has the audacity to show up again.

Stupid Arizona heat.

I dry my body off and sling my wet hair up into a towel. I slip into some loose fitting lounge pants and a big tee shirt. Realizing I'll probably fall asleep too, I brush my teeth before heading out into the living room.

When I get out there, Harry is already changed into his sleep clothes: some plaid lounge shorts and a loose-fitting blue tee. He's slumped on the couch with the TV remote in his hand, browsing absentmindedly.

I sit next to him and bring my bent knees up to my chest, hugging them close.

"Everything looks boring." He says, paging down and down through the TV guide.

"God, I'm so exhausted." I rub my eyes, "Don't pick anything I actually have to pay attention to."

"Do you just want to go to bed?"

"No, I kinda want to fall asleep watching something."

"You're so weird." He puffs some air out of his nose, showing amusement.

I stretch my neck up to kiss him on the cheek. He leans into it, though I'm not sure if it was conscious or not.

"Should we just search romantic comedies on Netflix and then see what we find?"