14 - Third Verse

We all sing ,"Like a river, like a river, sh-

Like a river, like a river, sh-

Shut your mouth and run me like a river."

"Clap along!" Harry yells into his microphone right before I start to sing the first verse by myself.

This is my song, it's all me. I don't have Harry to hide behind or sing with. It's my time to shine.

"How do you fall in love? Harder than a bullet could hit you. How do we fall apart? Faster than a hairpin trigger." I feel sexy and full of life while singing this song, not to mention Ash saying I sound like Alice Merton, Bishop Briggs, and Halsey simultaneously. I didn't even think he'd know who those people are. My nerves slip away, like shrugging off a coat.

Well, here we go, Bishop Briggs, let's nail this.

"Don't you say, don't you say it. Don't say, don't you say it. One breath, it'll just break it, so shut your mouth and run me like a river." Harry harmonized a bit during the last sentence, but he doesn't try to take the spotlight for me. The crowd is insane, jumping and dancing with one another to our performance.

"Shut your mouth, baby, stand and deliver

Holy hands, will they make me a sinner?

Like a river, like a river

Shut your mouth and run me like a river

Choke this love 'til the veins start to shiver,

One last breath 'til the tears start to wither,

Like a river, like a river,

Shut your mouth and run me like a river." I finish the chorus strong, and that's when a sliver of light from the back of the room catches my eye. The thick metal door opens and closes and that's when I see Peter come into the light.

"Tales of an endless heart, cursed is the fool who's willing, can't change the way we are. One kiss away from killing." I try not to look in Peter's direction, but I feel his eyes on me. This person on stage is much different from the person he knows from school. This person is more confident, more sexy, and much more alive.

"Don't you say, don't you say it. Don't say, don't you say it. One breath, it'll just break it, so shut your mouth and run me like a river." I accidentally look at Peter. We make eye contact and he smiles with one side of his mouth. He sways from foot to foot with the beat of the drum.

I'm caught off guard and my voice cracks a little bit. Maybe people will think I did it on purpose.

We finish the song, and by the time we're done, I'm glad Harry is soloing the next song. I don't think my vocal cords can take any more right now after River.

Harry and I switch places, swapping my guitar with it. I feel more secure now, with the familiar touch of smooth wood and strings in my hands. I look to Harry, nodding for him to start.

"She worked her way through a cheap pack of cigarettes, hard liquor mixed with a bit of intellect." Harry works his way across the stage to me, visibly flirting during the words, "And all the boys, they were saying they were into it, such a pretty face, on a pretty neck." He caresses my cheek playfully, earning a few cheers from the crowd. I feel a pink blush come to my cheeks and am very aware of Peter in the crowd.

"She's driving me crazy, but I'm into it, but I'm into it, I'm kind of into it. It's getting crazy, I think I'm losing it, I think I'm losing it. I think she said 'I'm having your baby, it's none of your business.'" He jumps wildly around, completely losing himself in the song. I still think back to the story behind this song and smile.

Who knew I could be so imbalanced after a few drinks? (Okay, it was way more than a few. I'm frankly surprised I didn't get alcohol poisoning that night).

"It's Phoenix, baby, always jacked up. Whole tunnels, foreign noses always backed up. When she's alone, she goes home to a cactus, in a black dress, she's such an actress." He points at me while I strum my guitar strings erratically trying to keep up. I spot Ash doing a proper head-bang, wondering if he'll need an Aspirin after the show.

"Driving me crazy, but I'm into it, but I'm into it, I'm kind of into it. It's getting crazy, I think I'm losing it, I think I'm losing it. I think she said 'I'm having your baby, it's none of your business.'" He continues singing, while Ash and I start winding down the song. However, Harry has other plans--a third verse.

He sings a new verse, one I've never heard him practice before, "She sits beside me like a silhouette, hard candy dripping on me 'til my feet are wet and now she's all over me, it's like I paid for it. It's like I paid for it, I'm gonna pay for this." He looks at me wildly during the last part. I open my mouth in surprise, my eyes alight with joy. I smile wildly, repeating the chords for the chorus while he sings it again. His stage presence is incomparable to anyone else.

We play a few more songs with me on guitar. I don't have another star moment like in River, but I do offer a few harmonies and delicate high notes during the set. We're all drenched in sweat by the time our hour is up. My feet ache from my choice of shoes; I'm gonna have to reevaluate my on-stage wardrobe. We rush off stage together while the owner announces the next band.

I throw my arms around Harry's neck and he picks me up and swings me around.

"Loved the new verse, but oh yes, you're gonna pay for it." I say as seductivley as I can while being completely out of breath.

"Is that a promise?" He teased, kissing me lightly on the lips.

Ash pushes past us, "Get a room, would'ja?"

Harry chuckles, planting another light kiss on my lips before letting me down.

He begins, "You were so great, I-"

"Katie?"

"Oh, hi, Peter." I stand there awkwardly. I feel Harry stiffen slightly beside me when he stops his sentence short.

"Harry, this is Peter. He's a friend from school. Peter, this is Harry, my boyfriend and bandmate." I add the last part lightly, poking Harry's arm playfully.

"Ah, this must be the friend you were telling me about." Harry says shortly, sticking his hand out to shake.

"English accent, nice, glad to meet you." Peter shakes it kindly, but I feel the tension in the air.

"We have a class together." I tell Harry. I see it in his eyes that he's not particularly happy about me being friends with a boy, much less a very attractive boy.

"I've gotta go meet my brother, I'm glad I saw the last bit." Peter nods to me and tips his head in farewell to the others.

Ash says after he's gone, "He's hot."

Harry mumbles, "I noticed."