Chapter Four

"Arcee!" Stormracer called, poking his helm into room after room. She hurried down the hall at his tone. 

"Is everything okay?" she asked. 

"Come here," Stormracer said, grabbing her arm and pulling her back to the temporary medbay. Arcee's optics widened at the sight of Cliffjumper and she turned quickly to face Stormracer. 

"What happened?" she demanded. 

"Decepticons!" Stormracer said, meeting her gaze. "I was shooting at Starscream but he pushed Cliffjumper in the way!" 

"If we'd listened to his warning, perhaps we could have driven them away without casualties," Ratchet said, shaking his helm. 

"It was fun," Cliffjumper said, turning his helm. He blinked when he saw Arcee. "Oh. Hi." 

"Be quiet," Ratchet said. He poked around the hole with a small tool. "There's shrapnel in your chassis. I need to get you to the lab to get it out with the proper equipment. Stormracer, help me." Stormracer obeyed and helped hoist Cliffjumper up. 

"You know, you just asked me to do the impossible," Cliffjumper said. "It doesn't actually hurt that much, compared to other things I've felt." 

"Like what?" Ratchet snorted. 

"Rejection, of course," Cliffjumper said, tilting his helm. 

"Ooh, yeah, rejection stings," Stormracer agreed. Ratchet shot him a look and he silenced. 

"It wasn't total rejection," Arcee said defensively. "I was just trying to grasp the fact that you were actually alive." 

"After you almost shot me," Cliffjumper added. "Let's not forget." He snorted, then winced. 

"Really, be quiet," Stormracer said. Cliffjumper sighed as they dragged him into the lab. Ratchet momentarily paused, blinking. Arcee could tell he probably wasn't expecting so much technology. 

"Welcome to being basically the most powerful bot on Cybertron," Cliffjumper said as they set him down. 

"Third," Ratchet corrected. "I'm no Prime." 

"Starfreeze would slap you," Cliffjumper said. 

"Shut up," Ratchet snapped, turning a few monitors on and rummaging around in the tools. "Primus, it's been a while." 

He found the tools and cords he was looking for and connected Cliffjumper to a few. He looked mildly annoyed at the technology being connected to him, but after a moment of holding himself up, he thumped onto the berth, making Ratchet flinch. "Careful," the medic advised. 

"Okay, I lied," Cliffjumper said, rubbing his chassis. "It hurts a lot." 

"I thought so," Ratchet said. He grabbed a small tool and bent down over Cliffjumper, poking around the hole again. "Stormracer, go keep a lookout for any more Decepticons. Arcee, you can stay if you like. I thought you would want to know, but if you'd like to leave, feel free to go." 

"I'll stay," Arcee said, moving to the other side of the berth and bending down. Cliffjumper turned his helm to look at her. 

"I've been alive, how long? and I'm already lying on my death bed," he said. 

"You're not on your death bed," Ratchet said sternly. "You have me this time." He turned away, dropping a piece of shrapnel on a table. "Now hold still and stop talking." 

"I'll leave," Arcee added dryly. Cliffjumper swallowed another sigh and turned his helm back to the ceiling. Ratchet worked in silence for a bit longer before proclaiming Cliffjumper temporarily stable. 

"I'll be right back," he said. "I need to grab something from my tool kit." He stood up and left the room at a quick pace. Arcee looked down at Cliffjumper. He looked at her. 

"Why the sad face?" he asked. 

"It's hard," Arcee admitted. "You're a good friend and here you are, almost dead again." 

"But I won't die," Cliffjumper said, lifting a digit. It quickly dropped back onto the berth. "And thanks. I like being a good. Nice coming from you." Arcee rolled her optics. 

"So, I decided," she said. 

"Oh, no," Cliffjumper said teasingly. He waited expectantly. 

"I do want to be more than partners," Arcee said. Cliffjumper quietly yessed. 

"Thank you," he said, looking at her. "We'll take it slow, though, right? I mean, I'm fine either way, but I just assume you want it slow." 

"Yes, start slow," Arcee agreed, nodding. Ratchet ran back into the room with his medical kit. 

"Good," he said. "I didn't really need this." He tossed it aside. "At least you confessed." Arcee and Cliffjumper stared at him, then started laughing. 

"Wow, doc," Cliffjumper said.

"Don't start with me."