Chapter 3

Jace and Clary sat at their usual spot at the back, all of the classes had tables that sat two people and there were seven tables per classroom. Jace slumped back in his chair and Clary sat on the table. Miss Appleshade - their teacher - was always late, it was ridiculous really, whenever they were late they got detention, but when she's late, it's okay.

"I wonder what her excuse for being late will be today." Jace said, rolling his eyes.

Clary giggled. "Like last time, when she was late cause her sister had herpes?" "She doesn't even have a sister!" Jace said, laughing.

"Or the time when she was late because her microwave exploded." Clary said, bursting into another fit of giggles. Soon enough the both of them were cracking up with laughter.

This is nice. Clary thought to herself. This is why I love him, not because he's extremely gorgeous (WHICH HE IS) but because I can laugh with him and talk to him and he'll actually care about it.

"What's with all the laughter over here?" A voice purred. Clary didn't have to turn around to know it was the schools main bitch, Emily with her posse.

Emily was one of those popular girls with a perfect face, waist length blonde hair and big ice blue eyes, with the perfect body and long legs. Her posse was made up of identical twins Sophie and Rachel, who had similar figures to Emily and long brown hair and grey eyes.

"Hey Emily." Jace said, with complete disinterest.

"Hi Jace." She said, sitting on the table across from Jace, almost shoving Clary off the table. Clary stared daggers at Emily, who didn't notice because she was too busy drooling over Jace.

Emily thought that her and Jace were destined to be together because she could have any boy she wanted, but she could never get Jace. She saw Jace as a challenge, and she was a very competitive girl. Besides, every girl pretty much loved Jace because of how hot he was. Which infuriated Clary. He's more than just a pretty face, you know! She mentally threw the words at Emily.

"Sooooooo" Emily said. "Jace, I was thinking, maybe you wanna go out after school for a coffee or something?"

"Sorry Emily, I can't" Jace said. "Clary and I are studying."

Clary met Jace's gaze and raised an eyebrow. "Since when?" she mouthed.

Emily turned to face her. "Really?" She said, not even attempting to hide her distaste.

"Sorry Emily" Clary said, shrugging. "But if we need a precious little bitch, we'll call you!"

Emily gasped and Jace snorted, and then quickly tried to cover it up when Emily glared at him. Emily got up off the table and stalked off, Sophie and Rachel turned to follow her muttering what sounded like "Short stack" under their breaths.

Clary rolled her eyes. "Do you think if I 'accidently' killed her in training, I'd get in trouble for it?" She asked, drawing quotation marks in the air.

Jace snorted. "I can't see who would care enough to get you in trouble."

"So about our study date tonight?" Clary asked.

"Yeah, we can totally ditch and I'll buy you a coffee to make up for it." Jace said.

"Okay" Clary said cheerfully. "Oh, and can we take a walk by the river?" That would be perfect!

"Sure." Jace grinned.

Clary giggled. "We should have 'study dates' more often."