3

It was drizzling with rain when America woke up. He shrugged as he stood in the doorway of his tent, not minding it much at all. He could see the embers of the bonfire from the previous night smoking still, it was grey, just like most things around - the world seemed desaturated.

"Alright guys," America began to clap, making echoes in the forest around him, "Up time! It's time to go and search for this third party!"

He heard tired grumbles coming from the buildings while he walked past, looking into each one - Canada slept in the building with Martial and Phil in it, and surprisingly, Germany and Poland slept in the same bunker, only a single mattress away from eachother.

"Hey!" America shouted, demanding, "Rise and shine! If I'm awake, everyone else here can be awake too!"

"But it's raining," He heard Poland complain, pausing, "Fine, I'm getting up.."

America smirked as he walked into the storage unit, picking up a gas mask for safety, and a raincoat. As he put his raincoat on, he hard heavy footsteps behind him, the others were finally getting up. He figured that, because he let this mission go through, he was the leader of it, he had the most command.

"America," A familiar Canadian accent addressed him from behind, "The plan is that you and I walk across the river and Germany and Poland search the forest."

"But Germany and Poland don't get along..?" America turned to face Canada, "Why are they in a team?"

"They need to learn to stop distancing themselves from eachother," Canada sighed, "Poland needs to stop fearing Germany, and Germany needs to stop fearing the fact that Poland is, well, afraid of him."

"Makes sense," America said sarcastically, "When are we pushing off? And who's gonna watch Martial and Phil?"

"Martial said he's going to look after Phil," Canada responded, "As much as I said that I'd prefer them to be supervised by someone like Finland or Czech, actual mature adults, Martial persuaded me he's mature enough."

"I don't think you'd put up much of an argument, if I'm being completely honest," America snickered as he pushed past Canada, checking to see if Germany and Poland were getting up, which they were.

"Ten minutes," America said into the room, "I don't wanna leave you guys behind, okay?"

"Yes, okay," Germany huffed, tired. Poland nodded too, though he was standing up, his eyes were still closed. America left, and began to wait for everyone to finish getting ready.

*

America and Canada strolled through the forest, silent to try and listen out for any unfamiliar voices.

They walked across the river bank, the water raged and slammed against jagged rocks. America would've hated falling in.

"If we keep going we'll be at the waterfall," America stated, as Canada nodded, "Should we carry on?"

"Well, yeah," Canada said without any hesitation, "Do you have any idea about how insane people back at my camp think I am because of this whole third party thing? They think I'm nuts! Nuts!"

"That's cool and all," America smirked, "But like, do they think I'm the leader? No. They don't. They think you are. Even though I'm the one who founded the FA."

"I'm sorry you wanted me to be in charge of the overcrowded camp!" Canada exclaimed, "It wasn't my decision! You just wanted to run around and save more countries!"

"Is that a bad thing though?" America jabbed a finger at Canada, "Or was I just trying to keep people alive because nobody else would?"

Canada stayed silent. America nodded in victory.

"I thought so," America huffed. There was an awkward silence pestering them. America could tell the dirt underfoot was becoming more mud like, which he decided to not overthink.

That was probably a bad idea.

America slipped, falling backwards into the river. He gave a surprised yelp as he hit the cold water, Canada tried reacting to pull him out - except the river was moving too fast, America was pulled away before Canada could do much.

Canada began to panic as he watched his brother flailing, trying to grab something, anything, but his attempts didn't make much of a difference.

America was quickly losing sight of Canada, hitting boulders and branches in the water. Though it might've hurt, he needed to focus on trying to survive.

The waterfall, however, was nearby. And it was nearing him fast.

America gave a terrified scream as he was thrown off the edge of the cliff, another river far below him, the waterfall feeding into it.

He felt his insides being lifted up as he fell, displaced. He finally came to a realisation; this was how he was going to die. His brother would take over, and it wouldn't matter about him. He would just disappear, and nobody would care much.

He closed his eyes as he hit the water. It felt like a brick wall just collided with his back. As he sunk beneath the water, he lost consciousness.

*

Canada was still making his way to the waterfall. His heart felt like it was leaping from his chest, he was scared his brother, and the leader of the FA, was hurt - or maybe worse, missing.

Once Canada was at the edge of the cliff, he peered over the edge in a hurry, searching desperately for America.

"America!" Canada cried, "America! Are you okay?"

No response.

Canada stood there for another few minutes, concluding America had probably drifted away in the river that was at the bottom of the waterfall. He needed Germany and Poland. This was urgent, he no longer cared much about the third party - he needed to search for America.

Canada began to back away, before he broke into a sprint. This was urgent. Urgent. Nothing less. He tried remembering where Germany and Poland were searching, but his mind was too clouded with fear.

Canada wasn't sure what to do without his brother. His brother was probably the best rescuer out there, America could shut down a plan if it was too unreasonable or stupid - how would Canada know if his plan would fail?

Canada needed America back.

One way or another.